Thornley Fit Again

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Thornley Fit Again

Post by Mike »

Should he go out on loan to get some fitness? Reserves aren't worth anything right now it seems and I'm not sure we need him right at this moment.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet could loan out Wigan Warriors star for Super League game time

WIGAN WARRIORS head coach Matt Peet has had his say on Salford Red Devils as well as the potential for some of his players to go on-loan.

Wigan will go up against the Red Devils on Friday night with Peet full of praise for opposite number Paul Rowley.

“I’m expecting a real test, they will test us with their ball movement and creativity. They play a style that everyone enjoys watching and that’s credit to Paul and his players,” Peet said.

They won’t come and roll over and will test us with the ball and compete in defence. They are a tricky team to prepare for because you don’t really know what to expect.

“They’ve got a combination of skill and flair but can grind out results when they need to do.

“Paul’s team always play an exciting brand and you know they will be diligent. They will be looking at the flaws in our defence and will have a plan for us. they are an intelligent and smart team who play to their strengths.

“They don’t just have one way of playing, they come with different game plans.”

Wigan centre Iain Thornley is ready to return, but it might not be with the reserves or a loan move elsewhere.

“Iain is probably ready for an opportunity whether that’s in reserve grade or on loan. He is probably ready to start at game intensity now.

“We have plans and phone calls about our players all the time. The plans are very live, each player we have a development plan for particularly our younger players.

“At the moment that is taking up a bit of time and John Duffy is doing a great job in communicating with those clubs. We need to build our first team up but also develop those for the next step.”

https://www.totalrl.com/matt-peet-could ... game-time/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

If he's fit to play now how come he didn't play for the reserves the other day?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:10 pm
Should he go out on loan to get some fitness? Reserves aren't worth anything right now it seems and I'm not sure we need him right at this moment.
+1
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Agreed,the reserves are a waste of time he needs a month or two out on loan
craigo

Post by craigo »

Mike. No. Big no. To Super league teams. Why should we help a rival ?. The rival and the player gain from it. Not us. We know what his ability is. Let him go to the highest placed Championship club. A young player is a totally different scenario. Ability ?. Must have. To be at Wigan. So that is for that team. Experience. To bring back to Wigan. Loans are a 3 way thing. Well, Should be.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

craigo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:53 pm
Mike. No. Big no. To Super league teams. Why should we help a rival ?. The rival and the player gain from it. Not us. We know what his ability is. Let him go to the highest placed Championship club. A young player is a totally different scenario. Ability ?. Must have. To be at Wigan. So that is for that team. Experience. To bring back to Wigan. Loans are a 3 way thing. Well, Should be.
So Wigan wouldn’t benefit ?

Clubs he would likely go to shouldn’t be considered rivals.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
craigo

Post by craigo »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:00 pm
craigo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:53 pm

Fitness. Yes. A club near the bottom is still a rival. Player could even be allowed to play against us. Don't know about wages. But surely a fellow Super league team would have to pay the full amount. No. Not my kind of loan.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

craigo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:11 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:00 pm
craigo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:53 pm Mike. No. Big no. To Super league teams. Why should we help a rival ?. The rival and the player gain from it. Not us. We know what his ability is. Let him go to the highest placed Championship club. A young player is a totally different scenario. Ability ?. Must have. To be at Wigan. So that is for that team. Experience. To bring back to Wigan. Loans are a 3 way thing. Well, Should be.

Fitness. Yes. A club near the bottom is still a rival. Player could even be allowed to play against us. Don't know about wages. But surely a fellow Super league team would have to pay the full amount. No. Not my kind of loan.
They will definitely play against other teams though and disadvantage them all. So we're helping one "rival" and disadvantaging the others.

No-ones suggesting he'd go to Saints, Cats, Wire etc (although maybe Salford might be on the cards I suppose). What's the harm in him heading to Wakefield or Cas and helping them knock off one of Saints, Cats, Wire etc? Where's the harm in something like that, we've already beat them and if we're in the relegation scrap at the end of the season something way more serious than this loan has gone wrong!

BTW, I didn't mention a SL loan, just a loan in general could be good.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐