Thornley Fit Again

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Thornley Fit Again

Post by the pieman »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:13 pm
the pieman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:35 pm

the other side of Thornley being back, is that the suggestion of moving French to 1, and Field to 6 looks a little more likely as Thornley can play wing (guessing they dont want to give Miski a long term shot there) comfortably, and it gives us some real size in the backs too with him, king and wardle. Without him we look quite small (ish) with French, Field, Smith, Cust and Marshall in the backs. I know that we have pace to burn but defensively in the backs we arent the biggest, so he'll add to it from that front too
I guess looking at the wings we don't have big wingers but Wardle and King have brought a bit of size to our back line along with KPP if as and when he may fill in at centre.
It wasnt something i'd really thought about, but was having a discussion on here with Mike earlier in the week where he was looking at the option of Field to 6 and French to 1. With King and Wardle we have 2 recognised centres who have both added size to the back line. When i look across the rest (and this isnt a criticism) we look very light / small but certainly have pace to burn with French, Field and Marshall. i suppose as with all things its getting that balance right so the smaller players can play with the ball in hand and arent targetted by the opposition defensively, and thus rendering them useless in a game as they are worn out through defending

so the thought of Thornley on the wing with the 2 centres does add some size to the backs, and when he is fit he will certainly make yards coming away from his own line, which is one thing i would potentially criticise French for. Watching the Hudds game, he didnt seem to do a lot of the hard yards coming away from our own 20, that was very much Marshall, King and Wardle, so may actually work better for us?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:35 pm from a squad perspective not a bad time of year for him to be back fit and ready

with easter around the corner and the double header, it will be time to rotate a little to keep things fresh
There isn’t the usual Easter double header now, it’s been scrapped.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:46 pm
the pieman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:35 pm from a squad perspective not a bad time of year for him to be back fit and ready

with easter around the corner and the double header, it will be time to rotate a little to keep things fresh
bloody hell i'd missed that :)

but equally what was Watson going on about the other week when they were looking at getting the Wakey game called off saying that it was going to be another double header (appreciate they already had game v Saints called off for the WCC so may have been referring to that)
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

the pieman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:14 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:13 pm
the pieman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:35 pm

the other side of Thornley being back, is that the suggestion of moving French to 1, and Field to 6 looks a little more likely as Thornley can play wing (guessing they dont want to give Miski a long term shot there) comfortably, and it gives us some real size in the backs too with him, king and wardle. Without him we look quite small (ish) with French, Field, Smith, Cust and Marshall in the backs. I know that we have pace to burn but defensively in the backs we arent the biggest, so he'll add to it from that front too
I guess looking at the wings we don't have big wingers but Wardle and King have brought a bit of size to our back line along with KPP if as and when he may fill in at centre.
It wasnt something i'd really thought about, but was having a discussion on here with Mike earlier in the week where he was looking at the option of Field to 6 and French to 1. With King and Wardle we have 2 recognised centres who have both added size to the back line. When i look across the rest (and this isnt a criticism) we look very light / small but certainly have pace to burn with French, Field and Marshall. i suppose as with all things its getting that balance right so the smaller players can play with the ball in hand and arent targetted by the opposition defensively, and thus rendering them useless in a game as they are worn out through defending

so the thought of Thornley on the wing with the 2 centres does add some size to the backs, and when he is fit he will certainly make yards coming away from his own line, which is one thing i would potentially criticise French for. Watching the Hudds game, he didnt seem to do a lot of the hard yards coming away from our own 20, that was very much Marshall, King and Wardle, so may actually work better for us?
I guess especially at the very start of the season with heavy pitches, having Thornley on the wing in the tight scrappy games where you rely on a little bit more in the air and making hard yards would be an advantage. Not this season though unfortunately, by the time he is anything like fully fit to super league standards, pitches will be harder and more favourable to your lighter, quicker backs
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:43 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:46 pm

bloody hell i'd missed that :)

but equally what was Watson going on about the other week when they were looking at getting the Wakey game called off saying that it was going to be another double header (appreciate they already had game v Saints called off for the WCC so may have been referring to that)
Was that not Huddersfield who missed the game with Saints?? 🤔🤔
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yes, and Watson is their coach.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Gone on loan to Barrow
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

craigo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:07 pm Gone on loan to Barrow
Where is this? Link please 😊
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Thanks Fuji 😊