Thornley Fit Again

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
craigo

Re: Thornley Fit Again

Post by craigo »

Mike. Sorry to bring football in. Chelsea always have umpteen players out on loan. Where to ?. What division and leagues ?. Normally one of the biggest clubs in England. Same goes for Wigan Warriors in RL. Just expect loan arrangements to be similar. Oh, You know what I mean.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Totally disagree. If he would be guaranteed games I think he should play at the highest level possible to get him going. Playing in the Championship is definitely an advantage over reserves but playing in the same league as us will get him properly up to speed. I don't see it being a bad thing if he played for a team much lower in the league for 3 or 4 games before returning to us fully fit
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

craigo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:40 pm Mike. Sorry to bring football in. Chelsea always have umpteen players out on loan. Where to ?. What division and leagues ?. Normally one of the biggest clubs in England. Same goes for Wigan Warriors in RL. Just expect loan arrangements to be similar. Oh, You know what I mean.
The difference there is that football has leagues all over the world to use. Academy players can go and play in Scotland or Austria or lower placed teams in the top leagues of Spain, France or Germany. We don't have that luxury in RL
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Send him up to Newcastle. Dennis Betts could turn him into a replacement second row. He'll probably wind up there anyway.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

bill.inger wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:54 am Send him up to Newcastle. Dennis Betts could turn him into a replacement second row. He'll probably wind up there anyway.
Betts isn’t there anymore
craigo

Post by craigo »

Understand Nathan, Mike and Blackpool pie s points to a degree. Also when we play Wakey, One of their players could, Accidentally or downright dirty put a Wigan player out for the season. Of course they are rivals. If I was the Chairman, Rads or Peet, No experienced player would be allowed to go and help them.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

[quote=fozzieskem
bill.inger wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:54 am Send him up to Newcastle. Dennis Betts could turn him into a replacement second row. He'll probably wind up there anyway.
Betts isn’t there anymore
[/quote

I didn't know that.
I always thought of him as the best second row forward Wigan have had since Bill Ashurst.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

from a squad perspective not a bad time of year for him to be back fit and ready (i know he'll need a couple of games to knock the rustiness off)

with easter around the corner and the double header, it will be time to rotate a little to keep things fresh

the other side of Thornley being back, is that the suggestion of moving French to 1, and Field to 6 looks a little more likely as Thornley can play wing (guessing they dont want to give Miski a long term shot there) comfortably, and it gives us some real size in the backs too with him, king and wardle. Without him we look quite small (ish) with French, Field, Smith, Cust and Marshall in the backs. I know that we have pace to burn but defensively in the backs we arent the biggest, so he'll add to it from that front too
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

craigo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:31 pm Understand Nathan, Mike and Blackpool pie s points to a degree. Also when we play Wakey, One of their players could, Accidentally or downright dirty put a Wigan player out for the season. Of course they are rivals. If I was the Chairman, Rads or Peet, No experienced player would be allowed to go and help them.
I absolutely do not understand your point. Loan deals happen all the time between clubs in the same league in other sports too. Short term and long term. Yes, rivals etc but honestly, Wakefield shouldn't be rivals in terms of table placement.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

the pieman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:35 pm

the other side of Thornley being back, is that the suggestion of moving French to 1, and Field to 6 looks a little more likely as Thornley can play wing (guessing they dont want to give Miski a long term shot there) comfortably, and it gives us some real size in the backs too with him, king and wardle. Without him we look quite small (ish) with French, Field, Smith, Cust and Marshall in the backs. I know that we have pace to burn but defensively in the backs we arent the biggest, so he'll add to it from that front too
I guess looking at the wings we don't have big wingers but Wardle and King have brought a bit of size to our back line along with KPP if as and when he may fill in at centre.