Peet Previews Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet Previews Salford

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet spoke to the press ahead of Friday’s Betfred Super League clash with Salford Red Devils.

Peet: “There’s positive signs, we’re healthy, the team’s connected so hopefully we can keep putting our best foot forward.”

Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils, Friday 24th March, 8pm K.O. at the DW Stadium. Tickets available HERE. https://eventlist.store/wiganwarriors/w ... redirect=1

Matt Peet says Salford pose an unpredictable challenge for his side as we look forward to Friday’s game at the DW Stadium (8pm K.O.)

The Warriors will be keen to build on a hard fought victory against Huddersfield Giants last week, with Salford looking to make it four wins out of six after their 14-13 victory over Wakefield, courtesy of a Marc Sneyd golden-point-drop-goal.

“I think they’ll test us with the ball movement and their creativity with the ball,” he said

“They’re a team that everyone enjoys watching, they’re not going to come and roll over. They’re going to test us with the ball and they’re going to compete in defence. They’re a great team to watch and a tricky team to prepare for. We know we have to defend with energy and enthusiasm and be ready for anything from the quality players they’ve got.

“We’re showing signs that we’re finding our way. There’s positive signs, we’re healthy, the team’s connected so hopefully we can keep putting our best foot forward.”

The Red Devils will be looking for their first victory at the DW Stadium since 2019. Peet says Salford’s style of play under Paul Rowley is something that his side will have to be prepared for: “His teams always play an exciting brand. They’ll have a plan for us because Paul’s an intelligent Rugby man and he’s got an intelligent Rugby team.

“They’re a smart team who play to their strengths, but they don’t just have one way of playing. They can come with different game plans and they’ve got plenty of plays and skilful players.

“I think they’ve got a combination of great skill and flair but they can grind games out when they need. Lots to admire, lots to respect. They’ve been fighting above their weight for quite some time now and that’s credit to Ian Blease and the coaches he’s put in place, most recently with Paul Rowley.”

The Wigan Head Coach is likely to have a fully fit side at his disposal once again, with the exception of Iain Thornley and Ryan Hampshire. The Warriors have so far boasted a short causality list, with Liam Byrne making his first start since Round one following a slight knee injury.

“I think there’s no doubt you’re riding your luck. There’s some injuries happen where you’ve no control over.”, he said, “But there are things we do have control over. We’ve got quite a young squad and they look after themselves, they’re very diligent. We train smart and we’ve got world class facilities. We’ll enjoy it whilst it lasts but we’re also ready for the next stage of the season.”

On Byrne’s return, Peet said: “He was strong, he did his job. He didn’t really look like a player who’d been missing a little while. I’m a massive fan of Liam Byrne and I thought it was a good start for him.”

Join us back to the DW Stadium on Friday! Tickets available in-store, on the day and online HERE. https://eventlist.store/wiganwarriors/w ... redirect=1

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/03/ ... salford-4/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan