Tactics

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Tactics

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:53 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:58 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:27 am

I think you're being a tad harsh. He's copped a lot of stick online for his goal kicking percentage but I only really recall the odd one or two where you'd expect most kickers to score and he hasn't. He seemed to find his groove last night and hopefully he takes that into next week
I’m not complaining about Harry, I’m saying we should have backup goal kickers.
You can’t say we need back up goal kickers and not complain about Harry.

He’s either good enough to be our goal kicker or he isn’t.

Of course having backups is good in case of injury, but that’s it.
Hampshire?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:26 am
Suzieb wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:19 am Why does mp keep changing the team we are only 6 games into the season and we should not be resting players it’s quite obvious that Mago cust Ellis are not good enough throw in KPP who’s head seems to be somewhere else and we do have problems but rotating these players who are not good enough is not the answer as someone else said we did look better with french at 1 and field at 6 but the rest I do not know Salford threw the ball about and we’re unlucky to lose but for French they would of won
Because if you want your squad to be able to compete when we pick up the odd injury, we need players to have been playing games. You also need to keep players on their toes. I'm sure Peet could give you a huge, detailed explanation why you can't play the same 17 every week
Don’t think other teams are changing it around as much but even if they are the problem is more basic and that is Peet doesn’t seem to want to believe the evidence before his eyes. Let’s see if he reverts to a similar starting line up on Thursday with Powell at 9 , Cust at 6 and Field at 1. It’s pretty obvious to all that Powell is not good at 9 and Cust isn’t cutting it at 6 but will he have the guts to change it around from the start? Or will he keep persisting with a set up that is not working?

There is the old saying that “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results” so it was encouraging to see him acknowledge things weren’t working in the Salford game but the problems aren’t new so will he make a more fundamental change to the team?
craigo

Post by craigo »

The Coach is growing more tactically aware. Even more so in games. I just think there are a couple of players who with respect are no good.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:11 pm the start? Or will he keep persisting with a set up that is not working?

There is the old saying that “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results”
Like Harry Smith kicking for goal from the left touch-line? Surely we have a right-footer who could take a shot? What about Marshall, he's right-footed?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Suzieb wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:19 am Why does mp keep changing the team we are only 6 games into the season and we should not be resting players it’s quite obvious that Mago cust Ellis are not good enough throw in KPP who’s head seems to be somewhere else and we do have problems but rotating these players who are not good enough is not the answer as someone else said we did look better with french at 1 and field at 6 but the rest I do not know Salford threw the ball about and we’re unlucky to lose but for French they would of won
Keep changing the team?
We've only used 18 players this season, probably the least by any team!!

Who are we resting?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:11 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:26 am
Because if you want your squad to be able to compete when we pick up the odd injury, we need players to have been playing games. You also need to keep players on their toes. I'm sure Peet could give you a huge, detailed explanation why you can't play the same 17 every week
Don’t think other teams are changing it around as much but even if they are the problem is more basic and that is Peet doesn’t seem to want to believe the evidence before his eyes. Let’s see if he reverts to a similar starting line up on Thursday with Powell at 9 , Cust at 6 and Field at 1. It’s pretty obvious to all that Powell is not good at 9 and Cust isn’t cutting it at 6 but will he have the guts to change it around from the start? Or will he keep persisting with a set up that is not working?

There is the old saying that “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results” so it was encouraging to see him acknowledge things weren’t working in the Salford game but the problems aren’t new so will he make a more fundamental change to the team?
I agree I think Peet comes across like he knows exactly what the issues are so it will be for him to solve in the next few games or he won’t solve them at all

Interestingly in his interview was the first time I’ve ever heard anyone at Wigan call out Powell for underperforming as indirect as it was - for me that was a bit of a watershed moment I just hope he listens to his own words and moves on from here
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Years of complaining that there's not plan be and when a coach has a plan b thr same posters complain that plan b isn't plan A.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:17 am Years of complaining that there's not plan be and when a coach has a plan b thr same posters complain that plan b isn't plan A.
I think the point a few are making is if your plan b is better than plan a - then make plan b you’re plan a
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

No straw damn us wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:01 am
Keep changing the team?
We've only used 18 players this season, probably the least by any team!!

Who are we resting?
Edit we've used nineteen players, I forgot about Mago or maybe just pushed him into the abyss after his performance at Huddersfield.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:21 am
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:17 am Years of complaining that there's not plan be and when a coach has a plan b thr same posters complain that plan b isn't plan A.
I think the point a few are making is if your plan b is better than plan a - then make plan b you’re plan a
Is plan B better though really was it under Lam we had a spell of the old switcharoo it had mixed results then I seem to recall,I will add French looked better at fullback at least had hold,of the ball.