Cust

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_ITK

Re: Cust

Post by Wigan_ITK »

moto748 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:44 am Could we risk giving Harry a break and giving Astley a shot?
Absolutely not. His assists, kicking and tries this season speak for themselves. Take Harry out of the team and you lose more than half of the points the team is gaining each game.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…

He’s got little choice but to try and make something happen because he’s got no pack lying a foundation and added to that the current 6 and 9 are not a 6&9.

I watched it back last night and saw his stint on the touchscreen with Wells he spoke very very well and you can see he’s got a proper rugby brain without throwing anyone under the bus he also alluded to the fact he prefers playing with Field at 6 and Bevan at 1 as it allows him to be the chief orchestrator and have runners around him.

That’s how we should be shaping up.

The big question should be who plays on the right wing and who is 9.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Dreamteam wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:21 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:16 am The reason is he isn’t getting the ball anymore on the 5th tackle it goes straight to Harry Smith.

I feel sorry for him.

Last week the game changed when he was moved to 9, apparently, found out tonight, it is his preferred position, but obviously Powell is the 1st choice at 9, Jai to 6 & Bevan to 9!

We keep playing the same moves week in week out instead of what is happening in that particular game.

Yes it’s a good move Harry running round the back of the scrum but not every play. We never run onto a ball, we are slow & always flat footed.

Jai’s defence is just remarkable for a guy so small! I bet Burgess thought he was going to score in the first half with the break he made only for Jai to get on to him.
Josie, I played 7 for nearly 15 years, let me tell u now there’s a reason he’s never getting the ball on the last. There’s absolutely no reason to feel sorry for him the lad can’t kick. The player to feel sorry for is Harry smith. Young kid with immense pressure on him and he’s playing on his own every week and doing a pretty good job I reckon. Jai needs to move into the halfs to take pressure off him or he’s gonna burn out
Great post, just is just a passenger and Smith is under all the pressure.

Get him dropped
Ggtt11

Post by Ggtt11 »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:17 am
Ggtt11 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:12 pm He's been awful this season. We are lucky we have jai and bevan. They both need their hands on the ball as much as possible, unfortunately there can only be one fb. So for me cust needs to make way.
Make way for what?
He needs dropped. Like I keep saying, jai to 6 bevan to 1 and put Powell on for the first 10-15 minutes take the sting out of the game then get O'Neil on. The after match interview with peet says it all. Its common sense your two most dangerous players need their hands on the ball. Bevan isn't when he's on the wing.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

He doesn't look fit but at the same time none of the squad is covering themselves In glory.

Cust last year was what we needed he was steady and allowed Smith freedom but since he did his arm in he's not been the same. Hopefully it's confidence.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Did Cust not line up on the left last year next to Farrell and this year he has move the right to replace TL?

Does Farrell makes our ball players look better than they actually are?

Also, as we get little ball movement from hooker or loose forward, do we need to stop the split halves and go back to old fashioned first and second receivers?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Good spot. I think Cust on the left and Harry on the right is the way to go like last season. Cust and Smith work well together and on the left Cust can kick grubbers on the last if needs be and also make breaks. It also means Marshall is more in the game and Farrell can cut inside if necessary. There are more options with that make-up.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:16 am The reason is he just isn’t getting the ball anymore on the 5th tackle it goes straight to Harry Smith.

I feel sorry for him.

Last week the game changed when he was moved to 9, apparently, found out tonight, it is his preferred position, but obviously Powell is the 1st choice at 9, Jai to 6 & Bevan to 9!

We keep playing the same moves week in week out instead of what is happening in that particular game.

Yes it’s a good move Harry running round the back of the scrum but not every play. We never run onto a ball, we are slow & always flat footed.

Jai’s defence is just remarkable for a guy so small! I bet Burgess thought he was going to score in the first half with the break he made only for Jai to get on to him.
I agree with this. We keep using the same moves rather than playing what’s in front of us. We have flair players who are at their best when they play off the cuff. I feel we struggle massively when on oppositions try line, it’s like we’re just waiting to get to tackle 5 to put a kick in.

Can someone tell me the last time one of our forwards scored from a crash ball a few metres out?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Can't tell you when but the only forward we have that looks like scoring (and has done so) on a crash ball is Havard.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Just watched the sky coverage of the game and Matty mentions that he took Cust off because he wasn't up to speed. Glad to see that the coach is prepared to change things around if necessary. I stiil think that the backs would find it easier if the props were making more ground but there's not a lot we can do about that this season. With reference to earlier posts, there's no way that Harry Smith should be dropped/rested, he's doing well under the circumstances and I was pleased to see that he re=found his kicking boots last night.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Jonathon Kerr (JK) wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:15 am Did Cust not line up on the left last year next to Farrell and this year he has move the right to replace TL?

Does Farrell makes our ball players look better than they actually are?

Also, as we get little ball movement from hooker or loose forward, do we need to stop the split halves and go back to old fashioned first and second receivers?
I mentioned this to Matt Peet on Tuesday & he replied it’s because Harry is a left footed kicker. Surely this must count towards Cust not playing as well as last season?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan