Joe Shorrocks back with Wigan Warriors following Leigh Leopards loan spell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Big Steve

Re: Joe Shorrocks back with Wigan Warriors following Leigh Leopards loan spell

Post by Big Steve »

I think one of our problems in attack has been a lack of ball playing forward.

Partington and Shorrocks have filled that previously and without it we are far too predictable, especially without a creative 9 in the team.

Close down Cust one side and Smith the other and we're so easily restricted.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

KPP been disappointing so far this season. Rather have someone committed playing for us and see their future at Wigan than somebody whose going to another club next season. Needs to be at 13 to get the best out of him and a run in the team. Get Smithies in the second row to help the right side defence were we are weak.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:46 am Majority on this forum said he wasn’t good enough last year and now Smithies has become the latest whipping boy Shorrocks deserves a place?
He wasn't good enough last year but this year we have lost Bateman and KPP is looking like he was a one season wonder so beggars can't be choosers.

I doubt he will make the team simply because mentally it's just a bit odd to ask a player to play against his team mates of the last month so soon. If he does or when he comes into the side I hope it's not as a no 9 to spell Powell. Shorrocks is no more of a 9 than Powell is and suffered from being played there at times last season IMO.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:46 am Majority on this forum said he wasn’t good enough last year and now Smithies has become the latest whipping boy Shorrocks deserves a place?
Bar faz, he’s probably the only other ball handling forward we have
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:24 am I’d have him at 13 with Farrell and Isa second row smithies on bench
That’s the most sensible post you’ve made for ages 😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

My view re Pearce-Paul, fwiw.

I don't see him lacking commitment - he'll want to improve before he goes to Aus. But at his stage of development, he needs to be playing with older heads and a settled set-up around him.

Instead of that he finds himself alongside King, who's just settling in himself, Cust, French and Field - the right edge that has been exposed in defence, but also looked a bit clunky on attack.

I feel justified in hammering home the same point post after post as it seems normal on here, but this is where many posters who comment on individual players are missing a trick. That right edge, and KPP in particular, need a strong experienced voice, an old head, to steady them and for them to learn from. The problem is that Isa seems the obvious choice, but he would most likely replace Kai, unless one of them goes to centre?

For our armchair coaches, that would possibly lead to King at 2, French 1 and Field 6, with Cust dropping down the order?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Cheers Josie glad we agree about something👍👍👍👍
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:22 am
Suzieb wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:24 am I’d have him at 13 with Farrell and Isa second row smithies on bench
That’s the most sensible post you’ve made for ages 😉
Very diplomatically put, Josie :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
craigo

Post by craigo »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:00 am
craigo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:15 pm He is worth a place.
I'd have him on the bench in place of Ellis
I'd have me or you in place of Ellis tbh.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:54 am Cheers Josie glad we agree about something👍👍👍👍
😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan