Tonight's Game - Team for Thursday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Team for thursday

Post by pedro »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:35 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:03 pm I'm a bit baffled as to why Ethan Havard should want to be 'more aggressive,' When forwards do this it's quite often cartoon posturing to make up for lack of quality. Would you like Faz to start start shouting and screaming for example? It wouldn't make him a better player.
Havard goes about his work very effectively and his talent is obvious. It's why the NRL is interested and why we should try and keep hold of him for as long as possible. His stats seem to be much the same as Smithies (except in conceding penalties) despite Havard being used in bursts as opposed to being on the pitch for the whole game.
They are both valuable players in their own way but one can be wound up and be a liability when that happens and unfair as it might be, it makes referees look out for them.
Aggression isn’t just squaring up to people or giving penalties away though, it’s running hard, trying to smash people in defence, scrapping for every inch, every loose ball etc and I think he can improve massively in those areas. He seems a laid back lad but even at his current level he’s a fine player but he will do himself a disservice if he doesn’t push for more in his career. I look at Smithies and those areas are his strengths but he hasn’t been blessed with the physical attributes Havard has (which is maybe why they’re different in terms of temperament and mentality).

It isn’t just you saying about Smithies discipline and I’ve had this with opposition fans who talk about him like he’s James Bentley in terms of being an idiot. The lad gave away 4 penalties in the whole of 2022! That is unbelievable! Zero reds and zero yellows. He hasn’t had as good a start to this season granted but I’m not concerned. No team can afford to have a pack full of ‘nice lads’ and you always need somebody to lead you in the effort areas. We had Micky Mac in the past, Saints have Knowles (who keeps getting banned by the way) and so on.
you right its controlled aggression, we have none, our team seems a bit soft these days and a bit nice
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Just read on other site that Cust & Marshy are doubts for tonight.
craigo

Re: Tonight's Game - Team for Thursday

Post by craigo »

Big day. Here we go. Supporters that I have spoken to personally seem to be quite wary of the game. Not sure why tbh. Leigh are going to be no higher than mid table. Of course I don't think it will be easy,But I am sure it is going to be a away win.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Fujiman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:52 am Just read on other site that Cust & Marshy are doubts for tonight.
Apart from the obvious what is actually up with cust?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Fujiman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:52 am Just read on other site that Cust & Marshy are doubts for tonight.
I was thinking King after last week's game that Marshall had not scored for the last 3 matches and was wondering if he was 100% fit.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:04 am
Apart from the obvious what is actually up with cust?
He seemed to take a knock to the hip v Salford in the 10th minute. Oddly Peet gave Powell a 50 minute(ish) break shortly after and took Cust off in the 2nd half.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:04 pm Smithees to me a bit of an enigma he’s stood still and I’m not sure at the moment 13 is getting the best out of him but I feel he’s one of those players that’ll get better as they get older so plenty of time for him to blossom out into wherever suits him best.
Morgan is still only 22. I know he seems to have been in the team for a while, but he is still young.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:03 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:04 pm Smithees to me a bit of an enigma he’s stood still and I’m not sure at the moment 13 is getting the best out of him but I feel he’s one of those players that’ll get better as they get older so plenty of time for him to blossom out into wherever suits him best.
Morgan is still only 22. I know he seems to have been in the team for a while, but he is still young.
Exactly Josie he seems to have been around for eons now he will sure enough find his best position in time
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

So no cust or Marshall but both appear to me injuries

Powell starting 9 obviously as the sky is still up
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

Cust has a bulging disc in his neck according to Matt Peet on Sky
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.