Tonight's Game - Team for Thursday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Team for thursday

Post by josie andrews »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:21 pm
WIGIAN wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:04 pm I never particularly like when people write "fans" as if the posters that have differing opinions aren't. As a fan who stood on Central Park in the 70s for second division rugby and now living in Cheshire and still going to games live I'd say I'm a FAN . I'm sorry that perhaps my opinion differs but isn't this why we have a forum. For me Morgan currently is a work horse without attacking threat the same thing Powell is slated for, yes that may come with maturity but say what you see and that's potential only for now and perhaps not in his current position.
Powell plays in a position that has to carry an attacking threat, a creative output etc but Smithies doesn’t. The game has changed and teams don’t really run with a Lockers, Farrell, Sculthorpe style 13 anymore, so if we want that from Smithies, we’re just not going to get it. His workrate on both sides of the ball is excellent and his numbers just go up and up by the season. I see Knowles getting all this praise at Saints but Smithies started to go past him last season in terms of his output and is well ahead this season. Each to their own but I’d tie the lad down to a 4 or 5 year deal in a heartbeat if we can.
Me too & Havard, French,Field & Smith IMO 😊🥴
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:50 am
the pieman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:07 am
Flash wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:46 am

I would also add that at least one of those penalties wasn't a penalty in the memory of man!
and i think 3 of those were in 1 game, as the commentators were rattling on about it

the noises about Smithies at the minute, sound very familiar to when SoL 1st came through. He's no Faz, he's not a leader, he's not a captain, he's not this or that. No he isnt, he is his own player, who has a different skillset whether we like it or not, and the calls for him to be dropped really show how little some people know about the game IMO
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Spot on Pieman
+1
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:39 pm
WIGIAN wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:04 pm I never particularly like when people write "fans" as if the posters that have differing opinions aren't. As a fan who stood on Central Park in the 70s for second division rugby and now living in Cheshire and still going to games live I'd say I'm a FAN . I'm sorry that perhaps my opinion differs but isn't this why we have a forum. For me Morgan currently is a work horse without attacking threat the same thing Powell is slated for, yes that may come with maturity but say what you see and that's potential only for now and perhaps not in his current position.
Powell plays in a position that has to carry an attacking threat, a creative output etc but Smithies doesn’t. The game has changed and teams don’t really run with a Lockers, Farrell, Sculthorpe style 13 anymore, so if we want that from Smithies, we’re just not going to get it. His workrate on both sides of the ball is excellent and his numbers just go up and up by the season. I see Knowles getting all this praise at Saints but Smithies started to go past him last season in terms of his output and is well ahead this season. Each to their own but I’d tie the lad down to a 4 or 5 year deal in a heartbeat if we can.
Smith has been getting some stick recently as well. He’s top alongside George Williams in terms of assists and looks lacking in creative support at times from his halfback partner and hooker. I think he’s doing fine given the circumstances. Havard is another I’d love to tie down for the long term. I think he needs to work on his aggression, as I’ve pointed out but ultimately if he was already an all round package, he’d probably be in the NRL by now.

I can get people going at more senior pros like Powell, Singleton, Isa, Cooper etc for our up and down start but the criticism of Smith and in particular Smithies is absolutely beyond me.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'm a bit baffled as to why Ethan Havard should want to be 'more aggressive,' When forwards do this it's quite often cartoon posturing to make up for lack of quality. Would you like Faz to start start shouting and screaming for example? It wouldn't make him a better player.
Havard goes about his work very effectively and his talent is obvious. It's why the NRL is interested and why we should try and keep hold of him for as long as possible. His stats seem to be much the same as Smithies (except in conceding penalties) despite Havard being used in bursts as opposed to being on the pitch for the whole game.
They are both valuable players in their own way but one can be wound up and be a liability when that happens and unfair as it might be, it makes referees look out for them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

His average gain of 7.38m per carry isn’t shabby either especially when you consider he is operating like another prop.

Regarding his contract, if my memory serves me right I think he is on a reasonable contract. The press keep reporting that he is off contract at the end of the season but that is not true.
WIGIAN

Post by WIGIAN »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:46 pm

Smith has been getting some stick recently as well. He’s top alongside George Williams in terms of assists and looks lacking in creative support at times from his halfback partner and hooker. I think he’s doing fine given the circumstances. Havard is another I’d love to tie down for the long term. I think he needs to work on his aggression, as I’ve pointed out but ultimately if he was already an all round package, he’d probably be in the NRL by now.

I can get people going at more senior pros like Powell, Singleton, Isa, Cooper etc for our up and down start but the criticism of Smith and in particular Smithies is absolutely beyond me.
I guess that's why its a forum, for differing opinions if we all agreed how boring life would be :) I actually think Isa has been good so far this term for instance ...
WIGIAN

Post by WIGIAN »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:29 pm
His average gain of 7.38m per carry isn’t shabby either especially when you consider he is operating like another prop.

Regarding his contract, if my memory serves me right I think he is on a reasonable contract. The press keep reporting that he is off contract at the end of the season but that is not true.
As I say he's a grafter and hard as nails low on tackle busts for all his metres , maybe we should just get better props and free Morgan up a bit from just the hard yards
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Apologies if I upset or offended you. Looking back I could have just as well-written fans without the quotes. It appears as it came into my head, without considering how it may be interpreted. I'm sure you're a loyal fan of the club even if we have different opinions about Smithies or any other player.

What I find difficult to grasp with some "fans", or fans, is that they only ever seem to criticise players. (I'm certainly not including you in this.) Powell has been the target for a long time, but Partington, Byrne, Bibby, Leuluai and even Lockers have all been targets, along with many others, including successful coaches.

I'm not sure that this is true for other clubs at a comparable level. I've previously mentioned that my experience of sitting in various places in the East Stand and invariably hearing fans moaning and criticising, even at times when we're winning, actually means that I enjoy away games more than at the DW. Fortunately where I live is more convenient for getting to Hud, Cas, Wakey, Leeds and even Hull than to Wigan.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:46 pm

👋👋👋
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
WIGIAN

Post by WIGIAN »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:44 pm
Apologies if I upset or offended you. Looking back I could have just as well-written fans without the quotes. It appears as it came into my head, without considering how it may be interpreted. I'm sure you're a loyal fan of the club even if we have different opinions about Smithies or any other player.

What I find difficult to grasp with some "fans", or fans, is that they only ever seem to criticise players. (I'm certainly not including you in this.) Powell has been the target for a long time, but Partington, Byrne, Bibby, Leuluai and even Lockers have all been targets, along with many others, including successful coaches.

I'm not sure that this is true for other clubs at a comparable level. I've previously mentioned that my experience of sitting in various places in the East Stand and invariably hearing fans moaning and criticising, even at times when we're winning, actually means that I enjoy away games more than at the DW. Fortunately where I live is more convenient for getting to Hud, Cas, Wakey, Leeds and even Hull than to Wigan.
No problem I try and not get too emotional in my posts and hope that it doesn't come across that I've taken against this or that player, I've seen a few over the years . I do agree some forum criticism is targeted (the anti Peet thing was a particular jolt) I can only have an opinion on what I see and comment. Its early days we probably have the best back line in the comp for fair weather rugby plus maybe some recruited bulk and we'll be reet