Peet previews Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Leigh

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet spoke to the press ahead of Thursday’s Betfred Super League Round 7 visit to Leigh Leopards, in association with The Turmeric Co.

Peet: “The games we have coming up, that sort of grit and determination is going to be the key factor, including this week.”

Leigh Leopards v Wigan Warriors, Thursday 30th March, 8pm K.O.

Matt Peet says he’s been impressed by Leigh Leopards so far this season and expects an excellent game between the sides come Thursday night.

Peet and his team take the short-trip to The Leopards on Thursday night for their Betfred Super League Round 7 clash, the first Super League meeting between the sides since 2021.

Matt Peet said: “The staff that Derek and Adrian have put together, we know we’ll have our hands full. It should be a fantastic game for everyone involved. It’s a game we all enjoy. It’s probably one of the fixtures both clubs looked for when the fixture list came out. I think it’s particularly exciting because of the quality that Leigh have got.”

Wigan will be looking to make it three Super League victories in a row, after triumphs in Rounds 5 and 6 against Huddersfield and Salford, with Leigh looking to build on a strong win away at Hull FC on Saturday.

"I can see where we’re building and see things we’re doing well and better than we were last year. But we’re yet to find that consistent fluency with the ball and that’s a priority for us.”, said Peet, “The games we have coming up, that sort of grit and determination is going to be the key factor, including this week.”

On Leigh, Peet said: “I’ve been very impressed. I think, in particular their first half against Hull FC at the weekend, it was up there with any team’s performance in the Super League. I think the speed of their attack was very impressive.”

Thursday’s opponents are headed up by former Wigan Warriors player and Head Coach Adrian Lam, who was in charge at Wigan between 2019 and 2021. In that time, Matt Peet served as Assistant Coach to Lam, eventually succeeding him as Head Coach.

“There’s plenty of friends and ex-colleagues in both camps. Lammy in particular is someone I enjoyed working with and is someone I’ll forever be in-debt to for the trust he put in me. Hopefully we can come out on top but plenty of respect between the two teams.”

LAST FEW remaining tickets available for Thursday’s game against Leigh Leopards available to purchase for collection HERE. https://store.wiganwarriors.com/tickets ... ckets.html

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/03/ ... ews-leigh/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

O’Neill: Lots More to Come

Post by josie andrews »

Brad O’Neill spoke to wiganwarriors.com following his return to the team during Friday’s win against Salford.

O’Neill: “Last year I got a really good taste for it and this year it’s about getting more of that and working on the things I need to work on from last year and from the games I play.“

The 20-year-old played 61 minutes, making 36 tackles and 75 metres in his second Super League appearance of the season.

Brad O’Neill says there’s a lot more to come from him after featuring in Friday’s squad for the 20-16 win against Salford.

The hooker, whose 13 appearances for the Warriors last year included the Semi Final and Final of the Challenge Cup, made his first appearance back in the side since Round 2’s 60-0 win at home to Wakefield, featuring as a 20th minute interchange.

“For a start, it was good to be back in the 17 and after not being in for a couple of weeks.” he said

“It was a tough game, I came on after 20 minutes and got straight into it. Really physical and a really good win, but it took us right until the last 10-15 minutes for us to get into the rhythm we wanted. Those tough wins are always good and will come good at the back end of the year. When the weather’s bad and the game is maybe not going the way you want it to, those games help.”

O’Neill had featured across the Reserves grade for the Warriors whilst being out of the team, including an impressive performance against Huddersfield two weeks ago, which won the plaudits of Head Coach Matt Peet. He said: “Playing in the reserves, it was key for me to have a good performance in those games so that I do get that kind of recognition from Matt, and it’s helped me in knocking on the door to get back into the squad.

When you’re not in the 17 it is tough on yourself, but it’s about that team first mentality and training hard to prepare the team for the game. I’ve been training hard to get back into the squad and doing everything I can to get back in. It was a case of holding my nerve and fighting to get another chance, working hard for that chance to come.”

O’Neill remains one of the younger members of the Wigan squad aged only 20, and says the experience around him in the coaching squad will help him in improving his game going forward.

“I’ve played three games and I think I’ve been doing alright”, he said, “There’s definitely still things to work on and there’s a lot more to come from me. It just goes back to working hard every week and looking to get back in.

“Last year I got a really good taste for it and this year it’s about getting more of that and working on the things I need to work on from last year and from the games I play. I look to do that week-in week-out, whilst getting better and working on the things with the likes of Sean O’Loughlin, Tommy Leuluai and Matt Peet.”

Thursday night sees Wigan make the short trip to Leigh Leopards for their Super League Round 7 clash and with a fantastic atmosphere expected inside Leigh Sports Village, O’Neill says the squad will be looking to thrive on the intensity of the crowd.

“Leigh is a big game, all the lads are looking forward to it. It should be a really good game. All the lads love playing in a big atmosphere, it’s what we do and what we enjoy. Hopefully it brings the best out of both sides.”

LAST FEW remaining tickets available for Thursday’s game against Leigh Leopards available to purchase for collection HERE. https://store.wiganwarriors.com/tickets ... ckets.html

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/03/ ... e-to-come/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Re: Peet previews Leigh

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan squad for Leigh

21-man squad announced for Thursday’s trip to Leigh Leopards, in association with Greenmount Projects.
Joe Shorrocks returns and goes straight into the squad.

Leigh Leopards v Wigan Warriors, Thursday 30th March, 8pm K.O.

Matt Peet has named his 21-man squad for Thursday’s Betfred Super League Round 7 visit to Leigh Leopards.

The Wigan Head Coach has made one change to the squad from Round 6, with Joe Shorrocks returning to 21 following a short-term loan spell at Leigh, replacing youngster Junior Nsemba.

Squad News

1 Jai Field
2 Bevan French
3 Toby King
4 Jake Wardle
5 Liam Marshall
6 Cade Cust
7 Harry Smith
8 Brad Singleton
9 Sam Powell
10 Liam Byrne
11 Willie Isa
12 Liam Farrell
13 Morgan Smithies
14 Mike Cooper
15 Kaide Ellis
16 Ethan Havard
17 Kai Pearc Paul
19 Joe Shorrocks
20 Patrick Mago
21 Brad O’Niell
23 Abbas Miski

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/03/ ... for-leigh/
josie andrews

Re: Peet previews Leigh

Post by josie andrews »

𝙁𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙡 𝙏𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙩 𝘼𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙘𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙁𝙤𝙧 𝙇𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝

We have received a final allocation from @LeighLeopardsRL which are now available in-store and online for collection only!

Any tickets not been collected by 4pm tomorrow will be sent to Leigh!

https://twitter.com/wiganwarriorsrl/sta ... 89760?s=12