Peet previews Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Leeds

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet previews Saturday’s Challenge Cup Sixth Round tie against Leeds Rhinos at Headingley Stadium.

Peet: “We are Wigan Warriors and we all know the expectations at this club.”

Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors, Saturday 20 May, Headingley Stadium, 2:30pm K.O.

Matt Peet spoke to the press on Wednesday afternoon ahead of Saturday’s Challenge Cup tie with Leeds Rhinos at Headingley Stadium.

Reflecting on last week’s Super League loss against the Rhinos, Peet said: “We got the best of what Leeds are capable of. We went into the game with a good attitude and equal determination, but obviously we didn’t play well in the second-half.

“It was a tough defeat to take but in terms of this week it’s getting back to what we do. It was important we addressed the game, but we always try to prepare in the same way and to keep things the same.”

Looking ahead to the tie at Headingley, Peet added: “This week has been good. Saturday was very honest as you’d expect where the players did all the talking, but even when we play well the players do a lot of the talking. We have an honest group which means we are able to do that, but we were all aligned on our thinking.”

On the importance of the Challenge Cup, he said: “It is an exciting and a fantastic tie between two big teams on a Saturday afternoon which is exactly what the cup is all about. This is the reason we all do our jobs, why spectators watch the sport and the matches everybody wants to be involved in.

Players want to play in finals and play in big arenas, and Saturday is just that. There is a great occasion at the end of the journey in Wembley, and that is what this fantastic competition is all about.”

Peet added: “We have spoken briefly on last year, but the focus has been more on what we can create this time around. We are Wigan Warriors. We all know the expectations at this club, and we are just excited to perform against strong opposition this weekend.”

Speaking on the continual development as a coach and team, Peet said: “I hope I’m always learning. If we want our players and staff to have that attitude then it is essential I do. Last week was a harsh lesson, but as a coach I’ve been reflecting back on how we could have handled our time differently and how to deal with such a loss.

“You get some things right, and you get some things wrong. If you don’t overreact, and you know what your missions are as a group then you can keep moving forwards – that is the beauty of the role.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/05/ ... s-leeds-5/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan