Wigan Vs Leeds CC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Vs Leeds CC

Post by josie andrews »

Lazy J wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:22 pm he used to own the hotel past the hospital on Wigan lane with Kris Radlinski its called Forbes now, but that's a recent change.

didn't he go to Wakefield?

on a side note, he's the only player I can think of that won a challenge cup medal and never played in the competition in the year he won it. He was on the bench in '85 but never got on the field and never played in any of the previous rounds. Great mullett too!
He didn’t own it with Kris, that was a shared ownership between Kris & Brian Carney, it was called the Bel Air.

Nick was the landlord/licensee.

Kris, Nick & myself used to do Rugby League nights on a Wednesday’s showing old Wigan Warriors RL games.

We televised the away playoff game to Catalan for those who couldn’t get there at such short notice.

We also televised the weekend games with very early morning kick-offs, 5 - 6 am some of them, for the 2008 RL World Cup held in Australia with breakfasts 😂

Those were very good times in the Bel Air 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Bell air that's a blast from the past. Spent my wedding night there before going on honeymoon. Well before radders had it tho just short of 50 years ago. But spent a few good times in there for many years. Like josie says was great for early rugby with full breakfast. Happy days
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Big Steve wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:11 pm Used to enjoy watching Du Toit too. Aggressive, raw 2nd row. Too short a time at Wigan. What happened to him - why did he leave?
Cant remember why he left but my greatest memory of him was an away game at workington.It was in the mid 80s and the game had been moved to the football stadium at the last minute.The wigan fans were chanting his name and he bent down( facing backwards to us) and waved at us through his legs.Great memories for a kid and a fierce competitor
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Firestarter wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:24 am
Wintergreen wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:14 am
Big Steve wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:09 am

Ha!

I remember that one. Great tackle. It was one of Hampson's trademarks, coming across field and hitting the winger hard into touch, along with uncanny ability to leak far higher than anyone under a high ball.

If I recall he said he used to practice on a trampoline.
He did.

He was also a drayman in the semi-professional days.
Didnt he run/own the belle vue pub with nick du toit or am i mixed up?
No you weren't mixed up. He did run the pub with Nick. I think June croft the international swimmer had it either before Hampson or after. Nick also kept the Plough and Harrow at Shevington. His mate Scott Qunell and is wife frequented before he went to Richmond RU club. Scott that is. When I asked if Hampo got the Golden boot award He didn't I was thinking of Gary Jack. I think only two from here have been awarded it. Ellery and amakinson
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Oh and Farrell and Sinfield
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

archiekeith wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:59 pm Oh and Farrell and Sinfield
Cheers wasnt sure
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

archiekeith wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:45 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:24 am
Wintergreen wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:14 am

He did.

He was also a drayman in the semi-professional days.
Didnt he run/own the belle vue pub with nick du toit or am i mixed up?
No you weren't mixed up. He did run the pub with Nick. I think June croft the international swimmer had it either before Hampson or after. Nick also kept the Plough and Harrow at Shevington. His mate Scott Qunell and is wife frequented before he went to Richmond RU club. Scott that is. When I asked if Hampo got the Golden boot award He didn't I was thinking of Gary Jack. I think only two from here have been awarded it. Ellery and amakinson
Fair enough, I can't remember that. - must be an age thing!