Wigan Vs Leeds CC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan Vs Leeds CC

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:43 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:57 pm Got out of jail there but I don't care, it is the cup.

Not had time to read the thread so this may have been mentioned before but the bloody BBC think we play RU because according to them in the match report we lost to a 14 man Leeds last week who had a man sent off.
I partially agree with you, in the first half we bombed our chances and we're lucky to not be further behind, however we played dominantly in the second half and Leeds only position really came from us over playing.
Having watched it back on iPlayer, yes we were the better team in the second half.

We were not in the first but overall our defence stopped Leeds scoring more than 14 so we were always in the game.

The goal kicking (or lack of it) made it tense at the end. What I noticed watching it back was Smith rushed nearly every kick. I think he can kick ‘em off the touchline if he takes his time but I thick the only reason he wasn’t more successful was because he rushed it.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

It was noticeable at the match, perhaps not seen on TV but after every miss Sean Oloughlin was running back with him talking to Harry trying to calm his nerves possibly?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Credit where it's due. Mago had one of his better games. Made plenty of post contact metres, his first run in the 2nd half left Holroyd on the floor and allowed Powell to jump out and put Faz into space for our first try in the 2nd half.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:07 pm Good win but we were lucky.

Smithies and Wardle were excellent.

Nsemba showed our forwards how to run.

Smith doesn’t seem to be getting better. When is he going to stop just hitting the ball and hoping for the best with his in field kicks?

A lot of average performances / quiet games - Shorrocks, Hampshire, King…

Havard is going to be a ridiculous blow.

French’s defensive frailties showed in the 1st half. Better teams would take advance. Defence wins games, Field to 1 when fit.
Unfair on King, who had a good game as usual. Some of his drives up the middle when we were pegged in our own 20 or 30 metre area were vital.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

We progressed, which is the only stat that matters in a cup game.

I wouldn't say we were lucky, in fact we were on the wrong end of a few decisions. We were the best team and the result was a fair one.

The players toughed it out and you can't take that away from them.

In terms of our team, well we learned nothing that we didn't know already.

Smith is not the solution to our goal kicking woes (and his misses could have been costly)

Our pack is lightweight

French is a genius

Peet really doesn't have a plan B.

Lot's to work on.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Think we have to think of doing a couple of signings, if we can, for the pack. We are really lacking in that area now
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Delighted with the win but it's not easy watching us this season. Nearly as nervous as the team were when throwing forward passes in the first half.
Not going to ignite the Powell question but noticeable how Cameron Smith's influence declined when O'Neill came on as hooker. Also, Powell seems to have got even slower in his passing - maybe an injury?
Too soon to decide about Hampshire. He didn't do a lot wrong but looked indecisive at times but I guess that will go when he's played more and gets integrated,
Agree about Mago and his effectiveness but it's all come too late for him.
Wardle was hugely impressive and his line-breaks were outstanding. Miski's yards gained are a real bonus when coming away from our own line.
We might need a couple of friendly draws to get to the final but al least we're still in there.
Not sure I'm looking forward to this Thursday, however.
Oh and for those who are unhappy with Sky be careful what you wish for having seen the awful BBC coverage (Mark Chapman excepting). Thank heavens for Joe Mills and Bilko to listen to here in the deep south.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:05 am

Smith doesn’t seem to be getting better. When is he going to stop just hitting the ball and hoping for the best with his in field kicks?

French’s defensive frailties showed in the 1st half. Better teams would take advance. Defence wins games, Field to 1 when fit.
Unfair on King, who had a good game as usual. Some of his drives up the middle when we were pegged in our own 20 or 30 metre area were vital.
Unfair on both French & King. The experts, even Wilkin & Peacock, couldn’t stop singing French’s game & as a player.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:04 am

Unfair on both French & King. The experts, even Wilkin & Peacock, couldn’t stop singing French’s game & as a player.
I dont think nathan has any problem with bevans attack josie.Its his defence hes worried about.Field us much better in this department.They both have plusses and minuses.Ide also prefer field at fullback but on some occasions maybe bevan is a better choice.All good though as sometimes we are stronger with miski on the wing.Its been a while since we were comfortable with players able to play in multiple positions so all good
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:12 am
josie andrews wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:04 am

I dont think nathan has any problem with bevans attack josie.Its his defence hes worried about.Field us much better in this department.They both have plusses and minuses.Ide also prefer field at fullback but on some occasions maybe bevan is a better choice.All good though as sometimes we are stronger with miski on the wing.Its been a while since we were comfortable with players able to play in multiple positions so all good
Bevan French scored a try either side of half time to help Wigan on their way to victory, but a try-saving tackle in the dying stages were also a stand out for the Warriors boss: “I’ve said before with Bevan, he has his highlights reel and he comes up with unbelievable plays and that is talent but what I admire about him the most is his courage, his willingness to compete, be brave and make big plays when the game is in the balance in attack and defence. When your most talented players are so committed, I think everyone else follows suit.”
Yeah his defence is shocking!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan