Matty Peet provides injury update following Leeds Rhinos victory- with several players……

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Matty Peet provides injury update following Leeds Rhinos victory- with several players……

Post by josie andrews »

…… set for lengthy spells on the sidelines

Wigan Warriors have been dealt with a number of injury blows.

Ethan Havard went off with a dislocated elbow in the early stages of the 18-14 victory over Leeds Rhinos at Headingley

Meanwhile, Willie Isa and Kai Pearce-Paul were both added to the Warriors’ injury list ahead of the Challenge Cup fixture.

It’s a long one for Willie, we’re talking months,” Peet said.

Kai Pearce-Paul is similar, we lost him in training yesterday, it was his leg.

"It’ll be eight weeks.

"We’ve also lost Ethan Havard, so we’re in one of those periods now where we are going to look to our academy and our pathway- which is what we’re all about.

"I was told his dislocated his elbow, but will need a scan. That was hot off the field, so it could be something different, but that was the immediate feedback I’ve got.”

A boost for the Warriors was the return of Ryan Hampshire.

The 28-year-old made his first senior appearance since rejoining club, following his recovery from a lengthy ACL injury.

Prior to this fixture he had been named as 18th man in Wigan’s last two games, as well as playing for the reserves last month.

"He’s been champing at the bit,” Peet added.

"I thought he had some telling contributions and is going to be an important player for us going forward.

"You could see his desire and dedication, he’s worked really hard behind scenes.

"We signed him and he was still carrying that injury.

“It was a great way to get him back into it and I thought he had some really important moments.

"He set a try or two up and it’s what he deserves.

"We decided to go with Ryan over Cade (Cust).

"We also had Brad (O’Neill) and Sam (Powell) at nine, so he didn’t get the nod this week, but he’s been first class.

"There’s been really good squad commitment to this game.

"The injured players we’ve got have been with the team.

"We’ve also got Iain Thornley, Cade and Harvie Hill, who warmed up but didn’t play, – they all deserve a mention.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... es-4151079
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
craigo

Re: Matty Peet provides injury update following Leeds Rhinos victory- with several players……

Post by craigo »

That injury looked very painful. Hope he is comfortable now. And back asap.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
DaveO

Re: Matty Peet provides injury update following Leeds Rhinos victory- with several players……

Post by DaveO »

A quick google says a dislocated elbow is four to six weeks recovery. Whether that’s true for a rugby player given the pressure the game puts on the body I don’t know so could be longer before it’s strong enough.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Cust was a bad one but he was kicked in the arm in the CC final - hopefully Havard will be back in a couple of months at the worst.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

craigo wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:46 pm That injury looked very painful. Hope he is comfortable now. And back asap.
He seemed to panic a bit as well. It certainly was not nice to watch. I think anyone who sees their arm do that would be exactly the same
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I dislocated my elbow once. The most pain I've ever experienced in my lifetime, by a mile (and yeah, I may have been lucky).