Ryan Hampshire reflects on his return to first team action

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Ryan Hampshire reflects on his return to first team action

Post by josie andrews »

Ryan Hampshire says he was emotional after making his first competitive appearance in 11 months.

The 28-year-old rejoined Wigan Warriors during the off-season, but spent his first few months back at the club continuing his recovery from an ACL injury.

Hampshire made his first team return on Saturday afternoon, as he started in the halves in the 18-14 victory over Leeds Rhinos at Headingley.

“I was really emotional at full time and had to keep it together,” he said.

A number of staff members here know the road I’ve been on, and they could see I was holding it all back.

“It was a relief to be back and thrown straight into the deep end- there’s not going to be many more games as intense as that.

A few people just told me to take it all in.

“I was a little bit nervous, but the closer it got to kick off, the more it wore off.

“As soon as I got on the pitch and started to put some work in, that’s when the anxieties of everything in the past had gone.

“It was a really tough game, but it’s always special playing at Headingley.

“To come back with that performance in the second half made it special.

“I was out for 11 months, my last game was back in June, and since then I’ve had two operations.

“In November I was having complications with my knee and was really struggling to improve on my injury so I had to see the surgeon again- which knocked me back a couple more months.

It flipped the recovery on its head and I started to see progress from there.

“It’s been tough.

“From December I didn’t really have a club. I was in Cas doing rehab but I wasn’t getting paid or anything like that, it was all off my own back.

“In January a deal came with Wigan, so I’ve been working hard from there and be patient to get back in the team.

The physios and the conditioning staff here have been brilliant.

“It was a different type of rehab training, and the details of what needed to be done with my knee.

“They were hard days but it was all worth it.”

Hampshire made his return to action in a reserves game at the back end of April, but had to wait a bit longer before stepping into the first team.

“Having those few extra weeks training helped me to iron out the rustiness,” he added.

“I knew it would help to make me better in the long-term.

“The reserves game really helped. I’m thankful that Wakefield put a really good team out that week because they had a few big bodies that got me ready for the game on Saturday.

My two first matches have been better than I expected.

“The players around me really helped me through the game against Leeds.

“It’s good to be alongside world class players, and your game goes up when you’re with them.

“It was my first game in nearly a year so there’s a lot of improvement in me yet.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... on-4152705
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Re: Ryan Hampshire reflects on his return to first team action

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Well done Ryan.
Well done also to Matty Peet for selecting Ryan.
Both proved what a great decision playing him as that try assist for Jake Wardle's try was top class. Great move from the scrum worked through to the try by top class players.
An assist for the match winning try is a very good return after so long since he last played.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I was impressed with rocky - not that he did anything special but I think he could have easily overplayed coming back into a team in place of Cust ina big game. He was steady and did well to get a full game in his legs
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
craigo

Post by craigo »

When we signed him back I thought it was a bit of a joke. Now I am really glad. Warrington fans felt the same with Matty Russell.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

He went well. Very enthusiastic in defence and solid in attack. First game back, much more to come
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

A really good 2nd debut from Ryan.

a couple of very nice passes in the build up to two tries, looked sharp both in defence and attack and wasn't afraid to run at the defence. He'll make a big difference to our attack and already takes the pressure off Harry as our previous single point of attack.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I am happy to see Ryan return. I had a chat with him at the Wakefield game and he was desperate to pull the shirt on again. I think he is going to be a great asset going forward. Hopefully, he will get a run in the team now.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think he can be well pleased with that. Something to build on.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

A few weeks ago ide have said we had no chance at KR but with ryan and juniors performance im very optimistic
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No club so unemployed after a bad injury. Takes some mental strength as well as the physical rehab to come back from that.

Shows what a precarious occupation being a professional RL player is. Which is why those who think a salary cap of £2.1m is enough (because it keeps wages down) are living on the wrong planet.