Ex-Wigan Warriors prop Andy Coley discusses his role in creating the club's new trophy cabinet

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Ex-Wigan Warriors prop Andy Coley discusses his role in creating the club's new trophy cabinet

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors have recently unveiled their new trophy cabinet in the 1872 Lounge at Robin Park Arena.

Former England and Great Britain prop Andy Coley, who is operations director for Greenmount Projects, was handed the task of helping to create something to encapsulate the club’s history.

The 44-year-old played for the Warriors between 2008 and 2011, during which time he won the Super League Grand Final and the Challenge Cup.

To be asked to do the trophy cabinet for such a successful club, we wanted to make sure it was world class and something we could be proud of,” Coley said.

“It needed to have the wow factor for the club.

“We’re a local business. Myself and Mike Sharkey are the two directors of the company.

Mike’s wife Mary worked for the club for around 40 years, and with me playing there, there’s an important connection.

“It took over many weeks of our lives to make sure it was all good.

We’ve got an internal design team, who came up with quite a traditional style, but they also tried to keep it modern.

“We liaised with the club to get some ideas and got an idea of all the trophies that would be going in to make sure it was alright sizing wise.

“We created 3D visuals so they could see it before it was actually built to make it true to life.

“There’s also the TV in the centre that the team will use for team meetings.

“It’s great to have the surrounding trophies around that. To see that history when you’re preparing for games is only a good thing.”

Coley has good memories from his time as a player for the Warriors, with one game in particular standing out to him.

“When you play for a club like Wigan you own the shirt during your time there and then you pass it on to others,” he added.

“You have your own piece of history, and you’re a small part of the legacy of that club.

It’s great to go back there and see the things that you’ve helped to win.

“The 2010 Grand Final is my standout memory, without a doubt.

“It was towards the backend of my career.

“When Michael Maguire took over we had a team that was hungry for success.

We had youth and experienced players.

“The whole year was fantastic, both on and off the field.

“Everyone’s families got on well, which made it a fun season.

“To win the Grand Final against Saints was the icing on the cake.”

Before hanging up his boots, Coley had already started to plan for life after rugby league.

“I worked during my last six or seven years of playing,” he stated.

“I had planned the best I could for retirement.

“I’d done all my training and my degree, so it all slotted into place.

I’ve happily moved on from rugby. It takes a bit of time to get over it but it’s certainly in the past now.

“It’s great to still have that connection with Wigan. We sponsor the men’s and the women’s sleeve this year.

“We’re also the main shirt sponsor for the girls pathway, so it’s great to support the club and put something back into it.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... et-4152720
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Ex-Wigan Warriors prop Andy Coley discusses his role in creating the club's new trophy cabinet

Post by morley pie eater »

One of my favourite biking routes takes me past a village called Coley near Halifax. Always remember Andy as I pass the sign. Solid as a rock.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
craigo

Re: Ex-Wigan Warriors prop Andy Coley discusses his role in creating the club's new trophy cabinet

Post by craigo »

I met him at a signing session in the grand arcade. His hands are huge !.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Belting bloke, came straight to me on Wednesday at the launch 😊 He said it was just like old times seeing me I said less of the old lad😂

Been good friends for many years with Andy his wife eldest daughter & his in-laws, who have both sadly past away these past six months 😢
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:27 am One of my favourite biking routes takes me past a village called Coley near Halifax. Always remember Andy as I pass the sign. Solid as a rock.
i bet thats nice and flat :) :)

i got re-routed off the M62 last night. Took my daughter back to Leeds for them to close the M621, M62 (j24-22) and then the M61, so i was well happy :)

on the plus side, i'll be heading over on my bike to hit some hills as the A58 comes through Hindley all the way over to Leeds, and it'll be quite scenic, and hard work :) :)
morley pie eater

the pieman wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:22 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:27 am One of my favourite biking routes takes me past a village called Coley near Halifax. Always remember Andy as I pass the sign. Solid as a rock.

i got re-routed off the M62 last night. Took my daughter back to Leeds for them to close the M621, M62 (j24-22) and then the M61, so i was well happy :)

on the plus side, i'll be heading over on my bike to hit some hills as the A58 comes through Hindley all the way over to Leeds, and it'll be quite scenic, and hard work :) :)
The A58 comes through Morley (Drighlington and Gildersome are part of Morley) as Whitehall Road, so you can wave to us as you pass through.

It is hilly on the route I mentioned but I'm on a Suzuki 650, not a push bike! Just out of Queensbury is over 1200 feet above sea level - that's higher than the highest point on motorway at the top of Windy Hill. Great views though.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

the pieman wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:22 pm

The A58 comes through Morley (Drighlington and Gildersome are part of Morley) as Whitehall Road, so you can wave to us as you pass through.

It is hilly on the route I mentioned but I'm on a Suzuki 650, not a push bike! Just out of Queensbury is over 1200 feet above sea level - that's higher than the highest point on motorway at the top of Windy Hill. Great views though.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐