Wigan squad for Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by DaveO »

Barney841 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:41 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:38 pm
Barney841 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:32 pm

I’m sorry but HKR aren’t a team you can take for granted. Willie Peters has turned them into a force, they aren’t 3rd for no reason, they look a well drilled team who set a high tempo tonight and I think we did well to get over the line.
Think the lads played their hearts out tonight against a GOOD team. Thought Ellis was really good, think I’d be keeping him next season, he’s looked a lot better recently.
Agreed. KR are one of the top teams at the moment and the speed of their play is unbelievable. They get on the front foot with their big guys and then speed up the ptb. Personally I'd love to see us try and land Mikey Lewis. I think he has a lot of attributes to be a top top star in the league. Him and Smith as our half pairing would be very interesting going forwards
I’ve always liked the look of him.
Also Parcell showed what a proper hooker does. Always said we should of gone for him when he was getting released by Leeds
Parcelll played Powell of the park but then that’s not hard.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:20 pm 2 things worry me

1 - goal kicking which will be the difference on big games - end of story

2 - we seem to capitulate when opposition go down to 12, which means something in our attitude isn’t right

It was an exciting game and a good win but it’s a kid season game against a team who won’t be at the gf - we should be putting games to bed and we aren’t

Also not sure why peet has taken to playing powell for 60mins the bringing o!neill on for the last 20 - done it a few times recently and I don’t see the point. Either play powell 80 or spell them equally
I can’t see KR getting to the GF,but certainly wouldn’t right them off they are very good side as for the game it’s hard to take many positives from it if we are honest why they struggle against 12 is worrying once you’d say ok but it’s becoming a trend now and it needs sorting.

Felt for Smith,he is a good player but he’s got that lost look about him last seen when Lam was coach,and for the love of god will someone get a kicking coach Jesus wept it takes time and practice,score the conversion game won at a canter you don’t you have games like tonight.

Ellis went well,Mago a handful seen nothing from Hampshire to change my mind so not going over that Farrell thank god he was there when it counted.

You’re right about Powell,play him the 80 if you must play him.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:04 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:36 pm Yet another great Wigan win I think I’ll check on WWFans to share the positiv……….. :roll:
My thoughts exactly. I was ecstatic when we won. We were far from perfect and had large spells of being under the cosh but we really pushed, equalised at the end and then rode our luck a little and snatched the win. Absolutely brilliant.

Then I log in on here and its doom and gloom

Ffs this is one of the form teams in the league. We are missing a huge chunk of our forward pack and still missing our (supposedly) choice stand off along with one of the most electrifying runners in the league. It was tough. We really had to dig in deep as they got on a roll and we got nothing from the ref but we stuck to it and got the win. I'm absolutely over the moon despite the missed kicks etc.

Just let yourself enjoy a win
My thoughts exactly. I keep saying it, but why the hell we don't we at least try a right-footed kicker from the left touch-line (Hampshire?), I can't understand.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I was saying in the pub, I wonder if the reason they're persisting with Smith goal-kicking is that he's banging them over in practice? We don't know, do we?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Harry Smith.

Fact - kicked conversions poorly.
Fact - Kicking out of hand was indifferent
Fact - threw some poor passes

Drop him, get rid etc

Fact - put in some good hits
Fact - under massive pressure puts Bevan away for our first try
Fact - puts Bevan away for our 2nd try
Fact - puts Bevan away for our 3rd try
Fact - pinpoint kick for Marshall's try
Fact - great pass for Miski's equalling try
Fact - good pass to give Bevan room for the winning try

Lets stick with him for a bit longer, eh?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:04 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:36 pm Yet another great Wigan win I think I’ll check on WWFans to share the positiv……….. :roll:
My thoughts exactly. I was ecstatic when we won. We were far from perfect and had large spells of being under the cosh but we really pushed, equalised at the end and then rode our luck a little and snatched the win. Absolutely brilliant.

Then I log in on here and its doom and gloom

Ffs this is one of the form teams in the league. We are missing a huge chunk of our forward pack and still missing our (supposedly) choice stand off along with one of the most electrifying runners in the league. It was tough. We really had to dig in deep as they got on a roll and we got nothing from the ref but we stuck to it and got the win. I'm absolutely over the moon despite the missed kicks etc.

Just let yourself enjoy a win
Me too, just on our way home it was bloody freezing at the ground
But what win? First time I’ve seen golden point won with a try! Which I prefer if we have to keep it 😊
Well done Wigan 🏉🍒⚪️❤️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

widdenoldboy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:04 am Harry Smith.

Drop him, get rid etc

Yes , a lot of fans only see the bad things!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:09 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:04 am Harry Smith.

Drop him, get rid etc

Yes , a lot of fans only see the bad things!!
thanks Josie and I'm guilty of focussing on mistakes as well and I know its because we care so much - but Smith did more good than bad tonight.
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:24 pm So worried about Smith.

Just doesn’t seem to be getting better, doesn’t do the fundamentals consistently.

After 20 minutes he’s dropped one, threw a rubbish ball and kicked out on the full.
Vastly overrated,he makes too many mistakes and his goalkicking is so erratic.We do not have a decent six or seven at the club unless Field can make the switch and i feel this will hurt us come play off time.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Harry Smith used to play in the same age group as our grandson as an amateur and he is an accomplished goal kicker who very rarely missed I feel that it’s a confidence issue then I agree with what Josie says about the rest of his game