Wigan squad for Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by fozzieskem »

Suzieb wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:51 am Harry Smith used to play in the same age group as our grandson as an amateur and he is an accomplished goal kicker who very rarely missed I feel that it’s a confidence issue then I agree with what Josie says about the rest of his game
Remember Smith in his academy days he pop them over from all angles so the talent for it is there but he needs guidance to me
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

With smith maybe it’s just too much work load. His kicking fell off since he’s been basically the only half back - maybe his fatigue levels are playing a part - tbf it doesn’t help that it seems nearly every kick he takes is touchline

And to my comment about hull kr and the gf and people saying “they’re a good team” - yeah they are - but they are this years good “season” team

Over the last 5-6 years 1 team seems to have a very good season - Salford/cas/hudds etc all have done this but I stand by my statement like all those teams who have good seasons they won’t make it to the gf when the big teams step up a gear and if they do get there they will be battered

There are 4 teams I’d say capable of getting to a winning the gf - wigan/wire/saints/Catalan

Saints even with their form have enough muscle memory to do it

Hull kr won’t be there trust me
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

widdenoldboy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:04 am Harry Smith.

Fact - kicked conversions poorly.
Fact - Kicking out of hand was indifferent
Fact - threw some poor passes

Drop him, get rid etc

Fact - put in some good hits
Fact - under massive pressure puts Bevan away for our first try
Fact - puts Bevan away for our 2nd try
Fact - puts Bevan away for our 3rd try
Fact - pinpoint kick for Marshall's try
Fact - great pass for Miski's equalling try
Fact - good pass to give Bevan room for the winning try

Lets stick with him for a bit longer, eh?
Well put
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Whether or not last night was a "good" night depends on your perspective.

From an entertainment point of view you can't deny it was good. Two scores down with 6 to go or whatever, team dug deep (again), last second try, hearts in mouth drop goal attempt, fantastic individual brilliance (again) to round things off. Totally entertaining stuff.

From a process/team/improvement perspective there are lot's of things to work on.

One thing we need to be mindful of is that it's not August or September. The coaching team have time to fix this.

They will be wrapping Field in cotton wool as he is the only answer (right one or otherwise) at 6.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

blindsideprop wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:10 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:24 pm So worried about Smith.

Just doesn’t seem to be getting better, doesn’t do the fundamentals consistently.

After 20 minutes he’s dropped one, threw a rubbish ball and kicked out on the full.
Vastly overrated,he makes too many mistakes and his goalkicking is so erratic.We do not have a decent six or seven at the club unless Field can make the switch and i feel this will hurt us come play off time.
Bevan needs to stay at FB, he never stops talking/shouting throughout the game, he’s watching everything.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It was my birthday yesterday, so maybe I was watching this in a different frame of mind, but I thought it was a superb game and that ALL of the team showed immense character. We were away from home in Hull, against the best Hull KR side in many years (and at a ground and against a team who had beaten us already), we were without a lot of key players and had won a very intense Cup game 5 days before - while they had a cake walk.

Within the game itself, the errors mostly came from pressure and fatigue, and there were many reasons for us to lose. And so, the win was very sweet indeed. 3 tries in 10 minutes - and each of them a gem of attacking brilliance - was an absolutely breath taking way to bring it home.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Thought we'd struggle last night - was furious when it looked as if we'd thrown the game away and was relieved when we squeaked (well, strode really) home at the end.
HKR are a wholly different side now and if Matty Peet ever moves on, Willy Peters should be under consideration as a coach. HKR, as a team, are much better than the sum of the parts and that's down to coaching.
As for us:
Harry's having a bad trot - it happens and he will get back to his best.
I imagine the thread about Faz can now be locked!
Isn't Liam Marshall just about the most underrated player around?
Miski's last second try was extraordinary. I know wingers practise that but his ability to get the ball down without touching the line was fantastic.
Shorrocks had another all-round good game and it was his (mostly) unnoticed run that set up the position for the winning try.
Smithies - what you see is what you get - he's not prepared to change and we'll have to put up with it.
Nsemba had another very good performance and no one had a stinker - well, except perhaps the missing in action hooker who allowed Parcell the freedom of the park.
I'd like to see Ryan Hall (who I like as a player) given a ban by the panel for that cynical foul on French and I didn't know that the receiver at the PTB (Smithies) wasn't allowed to kick the ball backwards instead of handling and passing. Thought Smith had an odd match - offside clearly didn't apply to Parcell at any stage of the match.
It was a decent win over difficult opponents - could have been much worse and I suspect the boost to morale will serve us well in the coming weeks.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Watching the game again and pausing on a few ptbs i noticed rovers were offside quite a lot.I only did this because one poster had commented about the ref policing there defence differently.Smith second kick out on the full was from blatant crosding/offside by SKD.I honestly thought wigan had no go forward after we were 14-4 up but, after re watching, i can now say they definitely pushed the limits and were offside more often than not.All in all it made the win more satisfying
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:51 am Harry Smith used to play in the same age group as our grandson as an amateur and he is an accomplished goal kicker who very rarely missed I feel that it’s a confidence issue then I agree with what Josie says about the rest of his game
Confidence, consistency, playing under pressure etc are all part of the skill set required to be a top sportsman.

So many fail to make the step up from youth/academy, others are world beaters in training but cannot translate.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

I think the criticism ( me included) comes from the fact that we are WIGAN And we as fans expect us to batter teams like HKR . Well I do anyway . Rightly or wrongly I expect us to be better than any other team in the league and I can’t change that mindset 🤷🏻‍♂️