Wigan squad for Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:50 am
Suzieb wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:51 am Harry Smith used to play in the same age group as our grandson as an amateur and he is an accomplished goal kicker who very rarely missed I feel that it’s a confidence issue then I agree with what Josie says about the rest of his game
Confidence, consistency, playing under pressure etc are all part of the skill set required to be a top sportsman.

So many fail to make the step up from youth/academy, others are world beaters in training but cannot translate.
They also take time as in years to have them in abundance. Smith has stepped up fine and is having a dip in form. Having a nightmare game like last night and coming away with a win still will help build that confidence up.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
butchbulldog

Post by butchbulldog »

Glad with the win, can’t understand why we try to speed the game up when the opposition do, did it last night and against Leeds when we lost. When we control the speed we look good. Smith is just having a dip in form, I knocked him at the start but he’s proven me wrong. Thought the forwards played ok last night considering how many first choice are injured, Elis had a good game and Mago seems to be playing better.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:04 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:36 pm Yet another great Wigan win I think I’ll check on WWFans to share the positiv……….. :roll:
My thoughts exactly. I was ecstatic when we won. We were far from perfect and had large spells of being under the cosh but we really pushed, equalised at the end and then rode our luck a little and snatched the win. Absolutely brilliant.

Then I log in on here and its doom and gloom

Ffs this is one of the form teams in the league. We are missing a huge chunk of our forward pack and still missing our (supposedly) choice stand off along with one of the most electrifying runners in the league. It was tough. We really had to dig in deep as they got on a roll and we got nothing from the ref but we stuck to it and got the win. I'm absolutely over the moon despite the missed kicks etc.

Just let yourself enjoy a win
Conversation with Marvin the Paranoid Android in Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy:

"Cheer up, Marvin. Look - the sun is shining."
"Yes, the sun is shining, but no doubt it will rain tomorrow."
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Just watched it all back over again this morning and despite all the problems and the fact that you could say we got away with that one, we did get the win and I'm much happier than I would have been if Lewis had kicked the drop goal. I know Harry is struggling with his conversions but it's happened before and he sorted it out. Believe me, Harry Smith is one of most important players and we have much bigger problems to sort out.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Considering we were missing Field, Cust, Singo, Isa, Cooper, Havard and KPP - that's 7 from our 1 to 17 - plus we had an 18 and a 20 year old forward playing, I thought our performance was creditable.

The thing that doesn't get mentioned much is the spirit of this team under Peet, Lockers and Leuluai. We saw it in bundles against Wire and Saints, when we dominated arguably the top two teams in the comp.

After a poor performance against 12-man Leeds, we have seen spirit in adversity in the last 2 games. Last night, Rovers got on top of us for a spell and we were looking lost, out of ideas. We weren't helped by Smithies' stupid penalty and Smith's kick out on the full.

But the way we dug in, and refused to roll over was pure gold. The fact that it came in response to a bad performance against Leeds in the league tells you even more.

You can argue all you like about who should or shouldn't be in the team, but when a group of blokes has the spirit that we showed, it's worth miles more than a goalkicker or a 9 who runs from dummy half.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

As a goal kicker how many conversions does Harry Smith have from under the crossbar?
We scored six tries last night and four at Headingly in the C Cup. Only one try was scored under the crossbar. Smithy must be taking well over 50% of his kicks from wide out. We can discuss the quality of his kicking all day, and it is what it is.

What concerns me more is that when we score we are going up in fours. We need a game plan that enables the team score mid field. Our outside backs are outstanding and create and finish off chances quite remarkably at times.

What we clearly are missing is a game plan to open up the opposition in mid field. With Hampshire we have real pace in the middle and we need to play to that strength. We need to start scoring mid field and go up in sixes. Last night if four of the tries had been near to or under the sticks the game would have been won at lot earlier than 80 minutes, never mid the "Golden" point.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:44 pm As a goal kicker how many conversions does Harry Smith have from under the crossbar?
We scored six tries last night and four at Headingly in the C Cup. Only one try was scored under the crossbar. Smithy must be taking well over 50% of his kicks from wide out. We can discuss the quality of his kicking all day, and it is what it is.

What concerns me more is that when we score we are going up in fours. We need a game plan that enables the team score mid field. Our outside backs are outstanding and create and finish off chances quite remarkably at times.

What we clearly are missing is a game plan to open up the opposition in mid field. With Hampshire we have real pace in the middle and we need to play to that strength. We need to start scoring mid field and go up in sixes. Last night if four of the tries had been near to or under the sticks the game would have been won at lot earlier than 80 minutes, never mid the "Golden" point.
and predominantly on the left i.e. his wrong side.

That said he does need to improve his kicking.
jobo

Post by jobo »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:41 pm Considering we were missing Field, Cust, Singo, Isa, Cooper, Havard and KPP - that's 7 from our 1 to 17 - plus we had an 18 and a 20 year old forward playing, I thought our performance was creditable.

The thing that doesn't get mentioned much is the spirit of this team under Peet, Lockers and Leuluai. We saw it in bundles against Wire and Saints, when we dominated arguably the top two teams in the comp.

After a poor performance against 12-man Leeds, we have seen spirit in adversity in the last 2 games. Last night, Rovers got on top of us for a spell and we were looking lost, out of ideas. We weren't helped by Smithies' stupid penalty and Smith's kick out on the full.

But the way we dug in, and refused to roll over was pure gold. The fact that it came in response to a bad performance against Leeds in the league tells you even more.

You can argue all you like about who should or shouldn't be in the team, but when a group of blokes has the spirit that we showed, it's worth miles more than a goalkicker or a 9 who runs from dummy half.
Spot on Morley, great post 👍
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

We need a kicking coach now that Briers has gone. Kicking is like a golf swing, it needs correcting from time to time. Smith has kicked them from all over the park at times and the reason he is now missing is that his technique has changed without him realising it.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Would I sign a player just for being a good kicker ?. Yes I would. Often the difference between winning and losing. Smith must improve. Or lose the duty.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.