Tommy Leuluai

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Richard de la Riviere

Tommy Leuluai

Post by Richard de la Riviere »

Hi all,

what are your favourite memories of Tommy's playing career please?
Sutty

Re: Tommy Leuluai

Post by Sutty »

It's got to be the hit on Faasavalu at Knowsley Road. He literally folded him in half :lol:

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

That was the first thing that came to my mind 😂😂 There was also another big hit on Alex Walmsley at the DW think it may have been 2018/19.

Then the one on Blake Austin at Warrington's Halliwell Jones in a CC round when Austin loss the ball Tommy picked it up passed to Sarginson & ref decided it was Tommy who knocked on 🤨

There was another incident, not a tackle but he scored a try at the DW his face just after you would think he’d let a try in!

He could be very scary at times when playing 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

josie andrews wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:47 am That was the first thing that came to my mind 😂😂 There was also another big hit on Alex Walmsley at the DW think it may have been 2018/19.

Then the one on Blake Austin at Warrington's Halliwell Jones in a CC round when Austin loss the ball Tommy picked it up passed to Sarginson & ref decided it was Tommy who knocked on 🤨

There was another incident, not a tackle but he scored a try at the DW his face just after you would think he’d let a try in!

He could be very scary at times when playing 😂😂
He had great timing in the tackle didn't he? Reminded me of Billy McGinty in that regard.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

Yes the one on Faasavalu for me because he had a reputation as an enforcer at the time and IIRC he got up eventually and acknowledged the hit to Tommy
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Sutty wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:36 am It's got to be the hit on Faasavalu at Knowsley Road. He literally folded him in half :lol:
Didn’t Tommy break his ribs?
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

The Fa'asavalu tackle that everyone has mentioned is a clear one, I also particularly enjoyed that cracker he did on Blake Austin at Warrington in the cup in 2019 (?) mentioned above and one on Ben Currie that led to a try a couple of years ago, but there have been numerous others every season. Has there ever been a harder hitting scrum half? I was very amused last year when he was penalised for an off the ball tackle in a televised game and you could hear him tell the ref: "Tackled off the ball? He ran into me. If I’d tackled him, he’d have known about it!"

Tommy was brilliant in the 2010 Grand Final (our first win at Old Trafford for 12 years) and scored a very important (if possibly a touch dubious) try to seal our victory at Wembley the following year. An absolute force of nature in that first spell and very fondly remembered for his efforts at 7 or 9.

In his second spell, it was all about his leadership and experience (as well as his ability to still hit bigger than anyone else). I recall his superb try-scoring performance in the tight 2018 play off semi final against Castleford where his determination really helped get us over the line and though he was only on the bench, it was very reassuring to see his name in the 17 in last year's Challenge Cup final as an experienced figure to help a young team and coach win some silverware.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaiJones wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:11 pm The Fa'asavalu tackle that everyone has mentioned is a clear one, I also particularly enjoyed that cracker he did on Blake Austin at Warrington in the cup in 2019 (?) mentioned above and one on Ben Currie that led to a try a couple of years ago, but there have been numerous others every season. Has there ever been a harder hitting scrum half? I was very amused last year when he was penalised for an off the ball tackle in a televised game and you could hear him tell the ref: "Tackled off the ball? He ran into me. If I’d tackled him, he’d have known about it!"

Tommy was brilliant in the 2010 Grand Final (our first win at Old Trafford for 12 years) and scored a very important (if possibly a touch dubious) try to seal our victory at Wembley the following year. An absolute force of nature in that first spell and very fondly remembered for his efforts at 7 or 9.

In his second spell, it was all about his leadership and experience (as well as his ability to still hit bigger than anyone else). I recall his superb try-scoring performance in the tight 2018 play off semi final against Castleford where his determination really helped get us over the line and though he was only on the bench, it was very reassuring to see his name in the 17 in last year's Challenge Cup final as an experienced figure to help a young team and coach win some silverware.
It was hilarious to hear him say that to the ref 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

The image of him wheeling away wagging his finger after Tomkins try in the 2010 Grand Final sticks in my mind. He was absolutely brilliant that day and it felt like at that moment he knew we’d won the game and the trophy.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Are we talking a tackle on Fa'asavalu for NZ against England? I always thought it was at Bolton????
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐