Hooker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Hooker

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:19 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:51 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:30 am

Where did I say he was a class hooker, I was simply correcting your inaccurate post. It makes me laugh when people post comments that are totally untrue.
Me too.

I also "it's a known fact" amusing.
It's a known fact that successive and successful coaches have picked Powell, but clearly some on here know better than them.
Shaun wane didn’t as soon as he was allowed other options didn’t even have him him in the top 5 English. Hookers
"Allowed to". :lol:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Mike wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:28 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:51 pm

Me too.

I also "it's a known fact" amusing.
It's a known fact that successive and successful coaches have picked Powell, but clearly some on here know better than them.
Shaun wane didn’t as soon as he was allowed other options didn’t even have him him in the top 5 English. Hookers
The wording seems strange but makes sense as he's referring to having other options as England coach rather than Wigan. Which is actually a very good point seeing as Powell was supposed to be his pet yet he's never picked him for England
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:57 am
Mike wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:28 pm

The wording seems strange but makes sense as he's referring to having other options as England coach rather than Wigan. Which is actually a very good point seeing as Powell was supposed to be his pet yet he's never picked him for England
yeah Mike added the word "to" which makes a different sentence - but the point remains the same as you say, and we all know that there are players ahead of him, but he picked at least 5 English hookers ahead of him - and you cant say its down to style of play as Wane has the same ethos as he did at Wigan.

I only bring it up because people say "coaches pick him" like there are a plethora of hookers to pick from at Wigan, since mickey mac left he has been the only senior hooker at the club, so saying coaches pick him is akin to someone saying to me you must think your old car is better than a Ferrari as you always drive it.

I think this is where most of the problematic conversation around Powell stems from because if you only look at the players on the books of the club then its a decent argument for Powell playing, but look outside the walls of the club and could he be improved - then absolutely!.

I get the impression that some fans think that its impossible to buy a good player from other clubs especially the NRL, there seems to be an opinion of some that we can either, work with what we have or sign someone from widnes and its just simply not true. Other clubs buy good players all the time many from the NRL.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

My god that was chuffing close..almost a month without a thread slagging off wigans answer to Voldemort (I’m not naming him),well done guys
:lol:
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I think this also shows how Lam was restricted in his attack as he had to pay Powell. Now he's got Edwin Ipape who is a running dummy half, he plays his expansive rugby that we all expected of him. I always thought it was Wane who was obsessed with him, but as said, he's never picked him for England so he doesn't rate him that highly. It must be Rads or IL as even when Peet subs him, it isn't long before he's back on to slow things down.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Personally I think it’s Rads - this is just a guess though - but if you read Rads book I always felt he thought there was something noble about not having much talent but working really hard - that’s how he saw himself

I’d go as far as to say he almost seemed annoyed by people with talent who didn’t have to in his eyes work as hard

I get it - and as a rule for building a solid team it’s a decent start point. However that will only take you so far - the best players are rarely not mavericks. If you think of stand out players - truely exceptional one’s they tend to tread the line and I think Rads loves Powell because he sees himself in him - a tirelessly hard worker who no-one has a problem with and your granny would like.

Problem is hooker is probably the most important position in the modern game - because of the speed of the players and rucks getting that dummy half but right is a lot of the battle

Saints were carried when they were terrible 5-6 years ago by Roby - such is the influence of that position. Every other position is effected by the person at dummy half

A prop can’t hit the line ball is the pass is too slow

A half back has a second less to get the pass away if he has to correct the ball receiving it

Overlooking that position is making everyone else’s job 10-20% harder
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

First Try Tickle wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:13 pm I think this also shows how Lam was restricted in his attack as he had to pay Powell. Now he's got Edwin Ipape who is a running dummy half, he plays his expansive rugby that we all expected of him. I always thought it was Wane who was obsessed with him, but as said, he's never picked him for England so he doesn't rate him that highly. It must be Rads or IL as even when Peet subs him, it isn't long before he's back on to slow things down.
Wow so now Powell is the reason Lam failed at wigan. Talk about re writing history.

Hasting was a massive issue for Lam he had to.do everything himself.

Also this well a coach hasn't picked him the moment he didn't had to is rubbish. A team is not just the best of every player it's best players available to play the style you want to play.

Not saying this is the case and not defending Powell but for example how do we know that at wigan a coach doesn't go

Right we have a smaller agile pack that means we need our hooker to be a defensive one and we will use our talented backs to attack

Then gets to coach England and goes right I have access to the best props I can now look at using an attacking hooker who at the expense of defence as it isn't a weak spot.

A team has to gel and cover weakness elsewhere not just the best attacking players in every spot. Micky Mac went well for England and as much as I like him as a player he's nowhere near a top hooker anymore but he fit Wanes style for England.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
doc

Post by doc »

Micky Mac runs far more from dummy half for Catalans than he ever did for Wigan.

For those wanting a running hooker I see Dwyer (a Wigan lad) is leaving Hull but don't know where he is going.

Edit: just seen in general RL he is going back to Wire.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

First Try Tickle wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:13 pm I think this also shows how Lam was restricted in his attack as he had to pay Powell. Now he's got Edwin Ipape who is a running dummy half, he plays his expansive rugby that we all expected of him. I always thought it was Wane who was obsessed with him, but as said, he's never picked him for England so he doesn't rate him that highly. It must be Rads or IL as even when Peet subs him, it isn't long before he's back on to slow things down.
Do you honestly believe that?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:36 pm
Do you honestly believe that?
I don’t think how Peet handles his game time is to do with Rads or IL. Peet probably think O’Neil can’t do any more minutes and it’s nothing more than that but it’s obviously Rads and/or IL who keep employing Powell and have not sought to improve the team in that position. Which is a bad reflection on one or both of them.