Rugby Union star admits he loves Rugby League & watching Wigan after being linked with persistent SL move

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Rugby Union star admits he loves Rugby League & watching Wigan after being linked with persistent SL move

Post by josie andrews »

THE likelihood of rugby union and rugby league stars doing a code swap is perhaps unlikely considering the difference in rules as well as aspects of both games.

However, a number of players have made the move – to differing degrees of success.

The likes of Sam Tomkins, Sam Burgess, Joel Tomkins and Lesley Vainikolo have endured difficult rugby union careers despite being highly revered in league whilst others such as Jason Robinson, Andy Farrell and Kyle Eastmond have made it big in the 15-man code after doing the same in the 13-man game.

In terms of those coming from rugby union to league, it is perhaps more rare with some players such as Luther Burrell failing to make his mark.

But, one player who is consistently linked to the 13-man code is Owen Farrell, whose father Andy is a hero in both codes.

Owen was part of the Saracens side that lifted the English Premiership trophy at the weekend in a 35-25 win over Sale, and he has admitted that he still has a major love for rugby league.

“I always wonder if I could do it, if I’d be any good,” Farrell told the Daily Mirror.

I love the game, I love watching Wigan,” the 31-year old continued. “I’m obsessed with the NRL, I watch as much as I can.

“Until I moved down south, until there was talk of my dad moving to rugby union, I didn’t know what rugby union was. Like, I’d see the England games sometimes and see the World Cup and I’d see some Six Nations, but I weren’t really into it, if I’m honest.

“The love for the game came later on. But my first love was nothing but rugby league.”

At the end of last year, Sam Tomkins – who will retire at the end of the year after an illustrious career – described Farrell as “the best rugby league player in the last ten years” despite the fly-half never playing the game.

I think Owen would be the best player in Super League every single year, he’s that good,” Tomkins said on The Big Jim Show.

“He’s the best rugby league player in the last ten years and he’s never played a game, in my opinion.

“If you had to design a rugby league player, if you got all the best rugby league brains in the world that came up with a player, it would be Owen Farrell without doubt. I think he’s tough, he’s resilient, he’s very smart, he reads the game really well, he can kick, he can pass, if you run into him he’ll smash you, he’s got everything.”

https://www.totalrl.com/rugby-union-sta ... ague-move/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors reportedly make decision on whether to pursue Owen Farrell

Post by josie andrews »

There is always talk about whether or not Owen Farrell would ever make the jump to rugby league.

Son of Wigan Warriors legend Andy Farrell, the England rugby union star always feels like one that got away.

And speaking to the Daily Mirror, Farrell admitted that he has always wondered if he could hack it at the highest level in Super League.

He said: “I always wonder if I could do it, if I’d be any good.”

He then admitted that he loves the game, especially watching Wigan:

“I love the game, I love watching Wigan.

I’m obsessed with the NRL, I watch as much as I can.

“Until I moved down south, until there was talk of my dad moving to rugby union, I didn’t know what rugby union was. Like, I’d see the England games sometimes and see the World Cup and I’d see some Six Nations, but I weren’t really into it, if I’m honest.

“The love for the game came later on. But my first love was nothing but rugby league.”

Following these comments it has been reported by the Rugby Paper that Wigan Warrior have actively made the decision to put distance between themselves and the speculated, or perhaps hoped, move for Farrell.

This has been something fans have wanted to see for some time but it is no surprise to see Wigan make this call.

The paper reported: “Wigan Warriors have moved to put distance between themselves and a reported big-money cross-code move to take England skipper Owen Farrell back to his hometown club. Former Wigan Warriors Martin Gleeson recently set tongues wagging when he told a Rugby League podcast that he asked Farrell, right, about a cross-code switch when he was part of Eddie Jones’s coaching staff.”

Gleeson said he thinks Farrell “would” like to make the switch to Wigan but it seems that is off the table from Wigan’s end.

Until Farrell retires there will always be the question of whether we could finally see him in Super League and even when he does retire it will become one of the great what ifs in rugby league.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... ell-75965/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Re: Rugby Union star admits he loves Rugby League & watching Wigan after being linked with persistent SL move

Post by DaveO »

Who writes this nonsense? It’s nothing more than clickbait.
Mickw

Re: Rugby Union star admits he loves Rugby League & watching Wigan after being linked with persistent SL move

Post by Mickw »

Prefer George Ford myself if we're talking RL.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Pointless headline.

Half the England RU team like RL and enjoy watching it!