Wigan Squad for Magic

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Squad for Magic

Post by josie andrews »

21-man squad announced for Saturday’s Magic Weekend game against Catalans Dragons, in association with Greenmount Projects.

Peet makes one changes to the squad ahead of the fixture.

Wigan Warriors v Catalans Dragons, Saturday 3rd June, 3:45pm K.O.

Matt Peet has named his 21-man squad for Saturday’s Magic Weekend clash with Catalans Dragons at Newcastle’s St James’ Park (3:45pm K.O.)

Matt Peet has made one change to his 21-player squad as Academy product Harvey Makin is replaced by Jai Field, who comes back into contention following an injury lay-off after Wigan’s Round 7 win away to Leigh Leopards.

Wigan squad for Magic Weekend:

1 Jai Field
2 Bevan French
3 Toby King
4 Jake Wardle
5 Liam Marshall
6 Cade Cust
7 Harry Smith
9 Sam Powell
10 Liam Byrne
12 Liam Farrell
13 Morgan Smithies
15 Kaide Ellis
19 Joe Shorrocks
20 Patrick Mago
21 Iaian Thornley
22 Brad O’Neill
23 Abbas Miski
26 Harvie Hill
27 Junior Nsemba
29 Tom Forber
32 Ryan Hampshire

Tickets for Magic Weekend, including day and weekend options are still available to buy online HERE or in-store at Robin Park Arena until Friday. Please note that online sales are now collection only from Robin Park Arena.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/06/ ... r-magic-2/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan Squad for Magic

Post by fozzieskem »

Nice to see Field back in the squad but I can't see them risking him surely?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

I think he plays, big pitch, dry ground and next game is Saints (or Saints Reserves)?
Last edited by widdenoldboy on Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Will it still not be a risk next week? Play him fullback on his return or super sub
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Field on the bench then bring him on 10-15 mins before half time when Catalans' big boppers are tiring. A good bit of pace then could have a good outcome.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with Wiganer Ted, place on the bench and then bring him on with 20 mins or less to play. If he's fine, he plays most of the saints game to get him ready for the challenge cup match which is, dare I say it, the more important of the two.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:18 pm Will it still not be a risk next week? Play him fullback on his return or super sub
Don’t think they will move Bevan from fullback
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

On the bench in place of Brad.

Powell subbed with Ryan going to 9.

Field in at 6.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

It needs to be Cust at 6 to start, Hampshire isn't good enough, Cust will control things better, then when Catalans are tiering bring Field on at 6 and move Cust to 9
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Ipinwigan wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:22 pm It needs to be Cust at 6 to start, Hampshire isn't good enough, Cust will control things better, then when Catalans are tiering bring Field on at 6 and move Cust to 9
I was impressed by Rocky away to Leeds I thought he was a bit more tenacious in both attack and defence but at KR his passing game was poor. Cust is a bit of an inigma. He isn't a flashy player but when we play well he generally goes about his work and dictates play. His form really dipped but I'm hoping now he's getting his fitness back and is ready to be key to our attack. I think you're right with what you say though. Putting Cust at 9 and putting Field at half back would really put the cat amongst the pigeons for a defence that is tiring. Having Shorrocks at 13 also gives us hands which allows Field to do his thing and worry defences. He really does add an extra dimension when you consider how worried defences have been about French for so long since he switched to fullback.

I'd definitely keep French at fullback though I feel he's safer under the high ball