Scapegoats through the years

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Stanfax

Re: Scapegoats through the years

Post by Stanfax »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:33 am
Stanfax wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:31 pm Ronnie Braithwaite anyone?
God hes one of my earliest player memories.Winger wasnt he?
He was.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:12 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:32 pm What a load of utter tripe - complete and utter b***cks post and Nathans comment re people not understanding Smiths value again utter tripe and insulting to members of the forum most of whom have played the game and been around it long enough to call a spade a spade.

Firstly this ludicrous point

but scapegoating seems to involve constantly repeated criticism of the same things often with a personal edge. Often there does not seem to be a lot of logic involved.

I will give you £100 for every comment you can find that criticizes Powell as a person - because im almost certain you will not find a single 1, you may be trying to include in that the idea of him being the blue eye'd boy but remember thats a shot at the Wigan upper management for having favorites not a shot at Powell.

I see this comment over and over again and it is fictional, its put there because people cant argue back that Powell is a very good player, so instead people change the argument to look like others are just being mean, instead of what they are actually doing and pointing out the obvious

then there is this

Of course, illogical criticism

Except it isnt is it, its very logical - in fact people would do provide criticism do it with examples and opinions, whats illogical is to make up stuff (its personal) or to refute a criticism of someones's playing ability by saying things like "well coaches pick him" but not backing it up with any insight into why.

oh and the comedy continues from Nathan, ah yes Matty Smith - the slowest halfback in history who while being a decent all round player was never a stand out player and always a position that could of been improved. I mean whn he left Wigan clubs were queuing up for the mercurial talent werent they, nope just his mate at st helens who he was a large part of getting the sack in the whole "jobs for the boys" - but surely he went onto bigger and better things then being such a talent, no he bounced around after failing to hold down a position at Catalan then onto widnes - and before people come at me with age arguements he was 29 when he left for saints, George williams is 28. in fact in the 6 years he played after leaving he scored a grand total of 3 tries.

Im sick of posters claiming that if a player gets criticism its because they know nothing or that its a personal vendetta. There is good reason why many people hold a particular view on players, its not because they hate them or hate wigan - its because its more often than not true. Very rarely does a player get overwhelmingly negative comments on their playing ability (both powell and smith was never a bad personal comment) and it not have truth in it.

I mean it even says in the opening to this frankly absurd thread "constantly repeated criticism" well guess what sunshine there is a reason for that

If its 35 degrees outside - most people will tell you its hot all day - they wont half way through the day say its cold, and it a player is slower than post office queue this year, guess what chances are he will be slow next yea and the year after - so if the same things are true expect the same things to be said

Ill end with this since Powell is simply a scapegoat and we are all so mean to such a valuable player who is carrying Wigan (yes im being aloof because its the counter to your claims of personal attacks)

What other team in Superleauge does Powell make the starting 13??
I have to agree.

Some on here think that being a "good" fan means never criticising the team or expressing negative views about a player.

Utter tripe.
I agree also. Absolutely spot on. The only players I can recall being criticised personally are the likes of Hock and Hardaker and that was for their dubious antics off the field rather than on it and how they let the club who gave them second chances down. Not how they played.

I just don’t get the mentality of when you see that your own team is lacking in a position people seemingly don’t want to see it improved and accuse others of scapegoating instead.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:04 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:51 pm
medlocke wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:31 am
I would argue most of the comments - certainly my own and others were more aimed at Matty Peet for playing him completely half baked.

Again this is that fine line of seeing what you want in the comments, running into that game we knew o'neill was playing well and Powell had been out and wouldnt be match fit. So even taking the playing ability out of it the problem was another of the big issues the "Sam Powell always plays"

So for me no - Sam Powell wasnt blamed for that loss - and while i think we win that game with O'Neill - we probably also win it with a match fit Powell
I said straight after the semi final that it was Matt Peet’s selection that lost us that game selecting Powell over O’Neill & then we had Bateman’s fit of pique!!
Add to that the idiotic selection of Cust in the catalan game it all added up to the Leeds game