Cats v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Cats v Wigan

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:02 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:49 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:26 pm But Peet is the Messiah, how dare anybody say a bad word against him, there must be something wrong with the players, It can't be down to the super experienced coaching staff
So you think the team is good enough?
No
If anyone thinks this team is good enough to win an grand final they're blinkered at best
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Cust Ellis mago Miski king Thornley ie the players who everyone are slagging off are peet signings btw. The players keeping this team together are lam signings or the young lads through the academy. Don’t tell me the squad isn’t good enough when his signings and his blind loyalty to certain players are letting the team down
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:28 pm I don't think our problems this afternoon really had much to do with our playmakers. Catalans dominated field position and territory so the effectiveness of our attack was always going to be limited.

For me it's pretty obvious the age old problem has cost us yet again. Their pack was big, powerful, dominant, aggressive, well-drilled. It was all the things you want from a pack and ours was battered once again. It's frustrating but it's hard to see how we fix it because we don't have anyone to make a difference.

I thought Ellis was okay but other than that our pack was outplayed to a man. Byrne has regressed, or perhaps just can't put in the same level of performance when the onus is on him to make an impact. Mago put in a decent effort but it's just not effective enough. I was happy to see Smithies tried on the right edge but it doesn't work. He's been largely anonymous and ineffective since the switch. Nsemba is a good ball carrier but not ready yet, not capable of playing the full 80 and just not quite up to speed defensively.

Hill also isn't ready yet so doesn't give us much off the bench. There's nothing remotely effective from our forwards, at least not on a consistent basis, so it's unlikely we're ever going to get into the positions to play the way we like. We can't really play patient rugby because we just can't get into the right areas of the field consistently enough.

It's one thing playing a team like Hull KR who don't have the strongest pack and don't tend to try to dominate teams through the sheer size and power of the pack. We can just about cope with that. But facing a team that relentlessly rolls down the field with big forwards and then puts on quick and clinical attacking moves has really exposed us.

The troubles with our right edge are a concern, but they were a concern at the start of the year and I don't think a huge amount has changed. We allowed that edge to be exposed by not making Catalans work for their field position and ensuring we were on the back foot too often.
Today, of our forwards, Ellis was OK and Mago decent. For me, EEP has it spot on above and even if the 5 forwards who are injured were in the team we still don't have a forward that makes metres, is difficult to tackle and bruises the opposing forwards. I can't think opposition coaches spend too much time worrying about the impact of Byrne, Powell, Singleton, Smithies, KPP and the like. In a very good pack some of the younger forwards may flourish and develop but this is a week in, week out problem and has been for years. When we went for Burgess there was hope that the penny had dropped, but of course we forgot to check that he was fit! Two big, aggressive, dominant forwards who can generate momentum and a hooker who thinks and acts quickly (Forber maybe) is a minimum requirement going forward. Will be interesting to see how (if) we use the 3rd marquee player possibility.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Today was a complete shambles and if they don't get the forwards stepping up, then this is going to be followed by another loss to Stains and then a Cup exit to Wanky Warrington.
This is a crucial time for Peat's coaching career, is he up to it?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

It's not just this game, it's the last 3 or 4 that worry me.

We seemingly don't have the personnel for Plan A. Peet clearly sees the team needing to lay down a platform in the forwards for the backs to feed off. Our forwards can't do this.

Plan B is just none existent.

We have determination and commitment in spades, but that is not enough.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Welski wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:45 pm Honestly goal kicking is quite easy. For professionals to miss so often it’s not acceptable.
How do you know?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:29 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:28 pm I don't think our problems this afternoon really had much to do with our playmakers. Catalans dominated field position and territory so the effectiveness of our attack was always going to be limited.

For me it's pretty obvious the age old problem has cost us yet again. Their pack was big, powerful, dominant, aggressive, well-drilled. It was all the things you want from a pack and ours was battered once again. It's frustrating but it's hard to see how we fix it because we don't have anyone to make a difference.

I thought Ellis was okay but other than that our pack was outplayed to a man. Byrne has regressed, or perhaps just can't put in the same level of performance when the onus is on him to make an impact. Mago put in a decent effort but it's just not effective enough. I was happy to see Smithies tried on the right edge but it doesn't work. He's been largely anonymous and ineffective since the switch. Nsemba is a good ball carrier but not ready yet, not capable of playing the full 80 and just not quite up to speed defensively.

Hill also isn't ready yet so doesn't give us much off the bench. There's nothing remotely effective from our forwards, at least not on a consistent basis, so it's unlikely we're ever going to get into the positions to play the way we like. We can't really play patient rugby because we just can't get into the right areas of the field consistently enough.

It's one thing playing a team like Hull KR who don't have the strongest pack and don't tend to try to dominate teams through the sheer size and power of the pack. We can just about cope with that. But facing a team that relentlessly rolls down the field with big forwards and then puts on quick and clinical attacking moves has really exposed us.

The troubles with our right edge are a concern, but they were a concern at the start of the year and I don't think a huge amount has changed. We allowed that edge to be exposed by not making Catalans work for their field position and ensuring we were on the back foot too often.
Today, of our forwards, Ellis was OK and Mago decent. For me, EEP has it spot on above and even if the 5 forwards who are injured were in the team we still don't have a forward that makes metres, is difficult to tackle and bruises the opposing forwards. I can't think opposition coaches spend too much time worrying about the impact of Byrne, Powell, Singleton, Smithies, KPP and the like. In a very good pack some of the younger forwards may flourish and develop but this is a week in, week out problem and has been for years. When we went for Burgess there was hope that the penny had dropped, but of course we forgot to check that he was fit! Two big, aggressive, dominant forwards who can generate momentum and a hooker who thinks and acts quickly (Forber maybe) is a minimum requirement going forward. Will be interesting to see how (if) we use the 3rd marquee player possibility.
I know I’m gonna get some abuse but I don’t rate any of them highly
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:02 pm Not singling him out as it was a bad performance for everyone and he's just coming through but Nsemba was targeted all match and field and King failed to cover his missed tackles.

We missed isa (and missing a 34 year old 2nd row is not a good place to be) he plays catalan don't get 2 out of the 3 tries that side.

Another contributor to today's loss was the lack of cohesion we threw so many bad passes (including field) and no one supported any break we made.

We need to set a half back paring now and let them Gel and if cust can be dropped so can Smith who need to build back up (reserves?)

People can complain and day we need an overhaul (usually the same people who never post when it's going well) but we ( well the coaching team) need to look at what changes can be made with what we have available.
How do you cover a missed tackle?

Never heard that one before.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:04 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:02 pm Not singling him out as it was a bad performance for everyone and he's just coming through but Nsemba was targeted all match and field and King failed to cover his missed tackles.

We missed isa (and missing a 34 year old 2nd row is not a good place to be) he plays catalan don't get 2 out of the 3 tries that side.

Another contributor to today's loss was the lack of cohesion we threw so many bad passes (including field) and no one supported any break we made.

We need to set a half back paring now and let them Gel and if cust can be dropped so can Smith who need to build back up (reserves?)

People can complain and day we need an overhaul (usually the same people who never post when it's going well) but we ( well the coaching team) need to look at what changes can be made with what we have available.
How do you cover a missed tackle?

Never heard that one before.
I think caboose means nsemba, field , king on the right edge were covering the inside for nsembas missed tackles
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:00 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:52 pm
ddtftf wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:48 pm A big thank you to Liam Burn he gave 100% all the match time for Cane Cust & Powel to say good by & do Catalans not have a salary cap they just seem to get Aus players when ever they want one ???
I though cust did well at hooker, Powell was none existent.

In do question why both Field and Cust where brought back at the same time when we had O'Niel
I said this at the beginning of the thread.We have 2 great fullbacks.Unfortunately they both cant play fullback.Lets do the right thing and put jai back at 1 and bevan on the wing.Maybe give field the off game at 6 against weaker opposition but its the only way forward for me
Nay nay & thrice nay!

French is more vocal than Farrell throughout the game he never stops talking & telling players where to go to get in the best positions. Okay odd ball goes astray but if French is not at Full Back he is wasted on the wing! IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan