Cats v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pieeater

Re: Cats v Wigan

Post by pieeater »

Cooper,Singleton,Kpp,Havard,Isa all out,
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pieeater wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:31 pm Cooper,Singleton,Kpp,Havard,Isa all out,
They have struggled when they were all fit tbh
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:06 pm
pieeater wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:31 pm Cooper,Singleton,Kpp,Havard,Isa all out,
They have struggled when they were all fit tbh
We struggled when they where fit
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:23 pm I haven’t read the whole thread, but suspect this has already been covered.

Our problem is one of physics - as we have a tiny pack, unless we play far more quickly we get dominated. When it works we are competitive, but are seeming refusal over many years to buy enough good big players astonishes me. Especially as we don’t have a 9 who runs, that lack of momentum puts massive pressure on the backs. Any defence can target Smith with everything they’ve got because our forwards don’t give us enough go forward and our 9 is no threat at all. We went all in on centres last year, we need to go all in on big props this year. Dupree plus a better version of Mago plus either a fully recovered Cooper or else another big unit and we will be up there.

I do really like our back line and felt we caused them plenty enough problems to have won that game - 5 tries speaks for itself. Oh and of course, if you swapped kickers we could have won despite being out scored on tries… and I like our coach a lot. His reaction was the perfect blend of disappointment, anger and determination to put things rights.

I have seen enough this year to think that Peet deserves backing and that the squad will make the most of their talents. The future is bright if we recruit right.
This is our biggest failure imo. Peet wants to adopt an Australian style game where the wingers and 3/4 carry the ball for 3 tackles or so, giving the forwards a rest and allowing them to focus on defence. That theoretically translates into field position and away you go. This inevitably means their wingers and 3/4 are bigger, effectively extra back rowers. One side benefit of this is that they are taller which means the kick to the corner is more effective too.

Unfortunately our pack is too small to capitalise on this, so what ends up happening is that they get bullied, pushed back and instead of said wingers and 3/4 getting the ball midfield with a bit of space to run, they get it on their own tryline with very little room. Our (smaller) wingers and 3/4 aren't as effective generally (in this, not all aspects).

You raise a very good point about a 9 who runs from dummy half. This would provide another "out", not only saving the forwards for their defensive work, but meaning that a larger heavier pack would spend more time moving around.

I'm not passing judgement on which is the best way to play, but I would have thought you need to play to your available personnel/strengths.

If your side is smaller, you need to move the ball around the park to compensate and vice versa.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Our pack is apperently always to small but I noticed Warrington didn't look much bigger. Neither did Hull KRs, Leighs isn't massive. Saints outside of two props isn't to big.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Defo miss Harvard and cooper
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Very disappointing, started well but never in it after we were penalised for obstruction near their line, fragile confidence maybe?

Others have said it but seems that the balance of the pack is all wrong. No one player is consistently poor but we badly lack 2 "metre making props", this means we usually front load the bench with props and keep spelling them. This leaves us without options from the bench. Now, losing most of our stronger props has totally derailled us and further highlights a lack of a running hooker.

I can understand playing Cust and Field to get them some match fitness for the CC and run to the play offs.

Contrast to the Cats, Bousquet and McMeeken destroyed us, with Whitley and Pearce having field days running behind them....we have 2 like them and the rest of the pack can play their own running games and make room for the playmakers.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Not all would have played if fit and in my opinion only Copper and Harvard are real misses. We need to stop using injuries as an excuse.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:25 pm
Not all would have played if fit and in my opinion only Copper and Harvard are real misses. We need to stop using injuries as an excuse.
Rubbish as much as you dislike a player there has been a clear defensive issue on that right side since Isa got injured. That isn't me saying Isa is some amazing player that wins us games but the defense on that right side played a massive part in why we lost.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:31 am
DaveO wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:25 pm
Rubbish as much as you dislike a player there has been a clear defensive issue on that right side since Isa got injured. That isn't me saying Isa is some amazing player that wins us games but the defense on that right side played a massive part in why we lost.
If cooper and havard are both injured then surely singleton becomes a big miss also?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE