Cats v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Cats v Wigan

Post by southportcdm »

Yes I agree, Firestarter. If we're missing our two best props any other loss is magnified. If Singleton isn't back for the cup match we'll struggle. Wire's performance yesterday did give me some hope but we'll have to avoid any more injuries against saints.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:06 am Yes I agree, Firestarter. If we're missing our two best props any other loss is magnified. If Singleton isn't back for the cup match we'll struggle. Wire's performance yesterday did give me some hope but we'll have to avoid any more injuries against saints.
I agree to, its the balance of the pack that is off (again).

A good front row means that the rest of the pack can improve by 10-20%
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:59 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:31 am
DaveO wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:25 pm

Not all would have played if fit and in my opinion only Copper and Harvard are real misses. We need to stop using injuries as an excuse.
Rubbish as much as you dislike a player there has been a clear defensive issue on that right side since Isa got injured. That isn't me saying Isa is some amazing player that wins us games but the defense on that right side played a massive part in why we lost.
If cooper and havard are both injured then surely singleton becomes a big miss also?
+1
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’ve always had a soft spot for Willie Isa most don’t funny now he’s not there it shows the value he brings to the side not world class but a bloody good super league player
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:22 am I’ve always had a soft spot for Willie Isa most don’t funny now he’s not there it shows the value he brings to the side not world class but a bloody good super league player
I've always thought this about Isa. He isn't perfect but his desire is there for all to see. Sometimes he may overstep the mark but I put that down to his will to win rather than any nastiness.

Imo he should be in the starting 13 every time and I would go further and make him captain. Players respect him and (again imo) would lift their intensity as he leads by example. I'm sure we wouldn't have had some of the abject performances of late. That's not to say we would have won all of the games but it wouldn't have been for the lack of heart and commitment.
WIGIAN

Post by WIGIAN »

Its not a huge surprise our defence has slipped since Isa's injury. Just dont see that same intensity from our pack in recent weeks
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:22 am I’ve always had a soft spot for Willie Isa most don’t funny now he’s not there it shows the value he brings to the side not world class but a bloody good super league player

The coaches seem to rate him, but what do they know?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Last year Isa couldn’t get in the team for a long period of time. He was regarded on here by most as a good squad player, with utility value but not good enough to start week in week out.

Fast forward to this year and many posters are saying he is a vital cog and a key player we are missing through injury.

Is it a sign Isa has stepped up or that our squad has gotten worse which is why he’s now become vital?

Probably a bit of both but a good topic of discussion.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Isa was always a solid player. I can't speak for others but he was always in my 17. He has always been consistent imo. Not a star player but very reliable.

I don't think he is the answer to our current woes btw.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:42 pm Last year Isa couldn’t get in the team for a long period of time. He was regarded on here by most as a good squad player, with utility value but not good enough to start week in week out.
Last year we had John Bateman!

Move forward a year and we are left with KPP and Isa vying for the second row spot. We are looking at the lesser of two evils rather than actually how good one is playing when it comes to team selection now. Isa plays because he is defensively better - nothing more nothing less

Age/injuries count badly against him now it's like a poor man's Lockers all over again
Back by demand.