Injury cover

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bobby-WRL

Re: Injury cover

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Finally some sense (Last 3 posts)
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Likewise for me - the pack is decimated with injuries but if we can hang in there and get a few bodies back without any further injuries over the next month think we can really build some momentum into the playoffs.

Nsemba is looking like he can be a real player in the future and along with Hill there’s some potential there.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Because Bateman sold us up the river we did not need anymore back row cover the club did not know he was going in August because wests had to get rid of Hastings and failed to get Moses so that left us short of forward replacements before the season started and with O’Donnell and Nicholson moving on who were ready made replacements our system had an hole in it
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Gerrumonside wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:12 pm Likewise for me - the pack is decimated with injuries but if we can hang in there and get a few bodies back without any further injuries over the next month think we can really build some momentum into the playoffs.

Nsemba is looking like he can be a real player in the future and along with Hill there’s some potential there.
I agree but isn’t it going to be a lot longer than this month? I thought everyone was out for a couple do months. In which case, given the rate of attrition we normally see it’s going to get to worse before it gets better.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:21 pm
Suzieb wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:59 pm Where did Batemans money go the point that I am trying to make is that in my opinion this current squad with all of its injuries will not compete with other clubs
Wigan knew Bateman was leaving around August time and they used his money to resign French and update some other contracts.
That would make the press release Wigan put out when Bateman left not only monumental tissue of lies but that the club had gone to the lengths of fabricating a sequence of events led up to his eventual departure.

It said he asked for a release in July, the club said “no”. The club then said “During the World Cup campaign, John let the club know of his desire to go back to the NRL. “ The world cup campaign which started on October 15th (and French signed his extension at least three weeks before it started).

The club then said:

"He asked to get the World Cup out of the way first, and then pick up discussions.“
“ With our desire to help England to do well in the tournament, we agreed to wait. After the tournament, John went on holiday and expressed his uncertainty regarding his future and requested time again to sort out in his own mind what he wanted to do.”

We are now talking the end of November when French signed in September.

Next:

“On Wednesday 14th of December, John informed us of his decision that he wants to try the NRL one more time.”

“It has been somewhat of a frustrating period but the club now accepts that it is in everyone’s best interests that John is allowed a transfer from Wigan. On Friday 23rd December, the paperwork was completed.”

So sorry I do not believe the club knew in August he was off and had already spent the money on French or on upgrades to other contracts. Not when they go into such detail on the whole saga and even put dates on it.

It would not surprise me if after he left they used the money to upgrade other contracts because I am convinced Rads adopted Leeds stupid tiered salary structure and he’s daft enough to upgrade contracts rather than address an obvious need to replace Bateman. Particularly as he knew this was KPP’s last season and Isa is no spring chicken.

Of course by waiting until after the world cup the club lost the opportunity to sign a replacement from any of the pacific nations for example who might have impressed but then that wasn’t really an option anyway having tied their hands as the quota was full.

It’s my opinion the reason the money hasn’t been spent is for the rather mundane reasons that there is no one in the U.k. available and the quota is full.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:30 am
No straw damn us wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:21 pm
Suzieb wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:59 pm Where did Batemans money go the point that I am trying to make is that in my opinion this current squad with all of its injuries will not compete with other clubs
Wigan knew Bateman was leaving around August time and they used his money to resign French and update some other contracts.
That would make the press release Wigan put out when Bateman left not only monumental tissue of lies but that the club had gone to the lengths of fabricating a sequence of events led up to his eventual departure.

It said he asked for a release in July, the club said “no”. The club then said “During the World Cup campaign, John let the club know of his desire to go back to the NRL. “ The world cup campaign which started on October 15th (and French signed his extension at least three weeks before it started).

The club then said:

"He asked to get the World Cup out of the way first, and then pick up discussions.“
“ With our desire to help England to do well in the tournament, we agreed to wait. After the tournament, John went on holiday and expressed his uncertainty regarding his future and requested time again to sort out in his own mind what he wanted to do.”

We are now talking the end of November when French signed in September.

Next:

“On Wednesday 14th of December, John informed us of his decision that he wants to try the NRL one more time.”

“It has been somewhat of a frustrating period but the club now accepts that it is in everyone’s best interests that John is allowed a transfer from Wigan. On Friday 23rd December, the paperwork was completed.”

So sorry I do not believe the club knew in August he was off and had already spent the money on French or on upgrades to other contracts. Not when they go into such detail on the whole saga and even put dates on it.

It would not surprise me if after he left they used the money to upgrade other contracts because I am convinced Rads adopted Leeds stupid tiered salary structure and he’s daft enough to upgrade contracts rather than address an obvious need to replace Bateman. Particularly as he knew this was KPP’s last season and Isa is no spring chicken.

Of course by waiting until after the world cup the club lost the opportunity to sign a replacement from any of the pacific nations for example who might have impressed but then that wasn’t really an option anyway having tied their hands as the quota was full.

It’s my opinion the reason the money hasn’t been spent is for the rather mundane reasons that there is no one in the U.k. available and the quota is full.
A proportion of Batty’s salary was used on King and Wardle. Let us not forget that only £150k of his salary was usable. KPP is not on a junior contract hence the reason he was tempted to move to the NRL.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I agree with everything that you say so Bateman sold us up the river as I stated back in December poor management once again by our club ie Nicholson o,donnell mcalorum Partington and in my opinion he’s better than Smithies the list is endless we keep making the same mistakes
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Suzieb wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:10 am I agree with everything that you say so Bateman sold us up the river as I stated back in December poor management once again by our club ie Nicholson o,donnell mcalorum Partington and in my opinion he’s better than Smithies the list is endless we keep making the same mistakes
i thought letting partington go was a big mistake
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:05 am
Suzieb wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:10 am I agree with everything that you say so Bateman sold us up the river as I stated back in December poor management once again by our club ie Nicholson o,donnell mcalorum Partington and in my opinion he’s better than Smithies the list is endless we keep making the same mistakes
i thought letting partington go was a big mistake
Me too, but he wasn’t getting enough game time.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan