Injury cover

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Injury cover

Post by Suzieb »

Why are we not strengthening our team during the recent injury crisis years ago we used to have ready made replacements waiting to slot into our team as I feel that it is to big of a jump from academy to super league
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Injury cover

Post by Mike »

Salary cap?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Where did Batemans money go the point that I am trying to make is that in my opinion this current squad with all of its injuries will not compete with other clubs
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Whose available ?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Too many youngsters being given improved contracts then hardly playing before moving on, Lenners needs to get this fantasy of a team full of Wiganers out of his head, it ain't gonna happen and while he's at it please stop with the young project players and bring in the much needed veterans we are missing, Isa and Farrell can't do it all themselves
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Suzieb wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:59 pm Where did Batemans money go the point that I am trying to make is that in my opinion this current squad with all of its injuries will not compete with other clubs
Wigan knew Bateman was leaving around August time and they used his money to resign French and update some other contracts.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I’ve read a lot of Peet’s statements regarding signings over his time. More often that not he says Wigan will use the academy and pathways for future players etc or he’s happy with what he’s got squad wise

Funny how after some shocking performances recently...in his latest interview re. King and Dupree..“We’re always looking”…

Soon changed his mind
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

We win games and nothing is a problem, we lose games and everything is an issue. The squad is fine but sometimes you’re unlucky that your injuries come in the same area of the field. We’re three senior props and two senior second rowers down but the club just cracks on and doesn’t whine and moan like Saints/Wire and Sky don’t mention any issues.

Who exactly should we sign? Salford don’t want to sell Dupree and there isn’t much else to go at in realistic terms. We’ve got no quota spots open, so we give invaluable experience to Nsemba and Harvie Hill and long term that will pay off for us. Maybe I’m an optimist but I saw enough in energy, desire and quality terms in that 3 game spell against Leigh, Saints and Wire to suggest we’ve got a real chance of a successful season. We just need to stick with them over these next few weeks.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Suzieb wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:59 pm Where did Batemans money go the point that I am trying to make is that in my opinion this current squad with all of its injuries will not compete with other clubs
take most of the starting pack out of Saints and then Lomax (and his 2 replacements), they'd be struggling to string a run of performances together
take the same out of Wire, and guess what they'd be struggling
repeat for every club in the league

with the salary cap IMO there are 2 ways you can run a team. Skinny squad and spend all your money on top 17 players, much as Saints have over recent years. Or a larger squad 1-25 (ish) much like we have over recent years. our Squad depth has got us through, but we may not have had the best 1-17 on paper. We seem to have thinned our squad down in terms of numbers this year over recent years and seem to have some decent young players coming through (who need to prove themselves as the top level), but injuries have really bit us

i think most of us would like to see a prop forward added to the squad, but it has to be the right person, and more importantly that person has to be available
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

NICKYKISS wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:09 pm We win games and nothing is a problem, we lose games and everything is an issue. The squad is fine but sometimes you’re unlucky that your injuries come in the same area of the field. We’re three senior props and two senior second rowers down but the club just cracks on and doesn’t whine and moan like Saints/Wire and Sky don’t mention any issues.

Who exactly should we sign? Salford don’t want to sell Dupree and there isn’t much else to go at in realistic terms. We’ve got no quota spots open, so we give invaluable experience to Nsemba and Harvie Hill and long term that will pay off for us. Maybe I’m an optimist but I saw enough in energy, desire and quality terms in that 3 game spell against Leigh, Saints and Wire to suggest we’ve got a real chance of a successful season. We just need to stick with them over these next few weeks.
add in we were also missing our 3 potential starting no 6 with Cust, Field and Hampshire (admittedly signed injured)

as you've said we were 3 senior props down. 1 returns, and in that match we lose Havard for 4-6 weeks

i'm in a similar position to yourself in terms of optimism. if we can get our props back and fighting fit come the business end, we will be there or there abouts