Jai Field reflects on his return from injury and previews the derby game against St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Jai Field reflects on his return from injury and previews the derby game against St Helens

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors’ Jai Field says his body feels good after making his first appearance in over two months.

The 25-year-old made his return to action in the Magic Weekend defeat against Catalans Dragons.

Despite the disappointing result, Field admits he was pleased from a personal perspective to make it through the entirety of the game.

“My body feels really good,” he said.

I was pleased to get through the 80 minutes, because I know if you come back too early with hamstrings, things can go wrong.

“The club did the right things and took all the right precautions.

"It was not an ideal game to play in.

"We were all a bit off, and Catalans played a great game.

"They starved us of the ball, defended really well and had a lot of energy, and points were hard to come by.

"I would’ve liked to have been more involved, but with the way the game went- we didn’t have the ball for long periods.

Obviously it was disappointing from that aspect, but it was still pleasing for me to get through 80 minutes.”

Field started at stand off in the game at St James’ Park, with Bevan French remaining at fullback.

"I just want to do my role for the team at the moment and keep knocking out a few games,” he explained.

"We’ll play it by ear, and I’ll keep doing what’s best for the team.

At the moment it’s what we need. Bevan’s gone really well so I’m just doing my role.

"I just want to keep ticking some games off for the body.”

The Warriors next game comes against St Helens at the Totally Wicked Stadium on Friday night (K.O. 8pm).

"The body pulled up really well so I’m looking to get back out there again,” Field added.

"It’s always a big fixture when you play St Helens.

"I didn’t get to play in Good Friday- which was obviously disappointing, but I’m looking forward to this week.

I’ve played in a few games against them, and it’s always a big occasion for both towns.

"I don’t think a rivalry compares to it back in Australia- it’s massive.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ns-4172508
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Jai Field reflects on his return from injury and previews the derby game against St Helens

Post by josie andrews »

Field: No rivalry compares

Wigan Warriors‘ Jai Field looks ahead to Friday night’s derby with St Helens at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

Field: “I don’t think any rivalry compares to it even in Australia – it’s massive.”

Watch the full interview with Jai Field on Wigan TV HERE.

Wigan Warriors’ Jai Field looks ahead to Friday night’s derby with St Helens as he says ‘no rivalry compares’ in rugby league.

Field, who had been sidelined since March with a hamstring injury, played the full 80 minutes on his return to action at Magic Weekend.

Reflecting on his time out injured, Field said: “It was difficult and the first couple of runs when coming back are definitely challenging. However, the performance staff and physios here make your training and rehab as close to game simulating as possible which helps getting your head right. You just have to trust you are doing the right things.”

Speaking on his return to action, Field added: “My body’s feeling good. Sometimes with hamstring injuries you can come back too early and things can then go wrong, but I took all the right precautions so I’d get through the game.

“Catalans played with a lot of energy and defended very well. It wasn’t the ideal game to come back too, but it was just pleasing to get through the 80 minutes.”

Looking ahead to Friday night’s derby against St Helens, Field said: “I didn’t get to play in the Good Friday win which was disappointing, so I’m looking forward to this one. I played in a few of these matches last year and it’s always a big occasion. I don’t think any rivalry compares to it even in Australia – it’s massive.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/06/ ... -compares/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan