Wigan vs Saints match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dreamteam

Re: Wigan squad for Saints

Post by Dreamteam »

A loss would probably put us out of the 6. Considering the recourses peet has been given that’s nowhere near good enough considering there would be 3 teams above us not even spending the cap
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Have to say, although both of the suggested teams would be, well, interesting, I'd be amazed if Peet's team is anything like that. I can't see Field on the wing, and at full-back is scarcely more likely.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I know Saints have had a bit of an upturn in form but they arent the team they have been and are more beatable even at full strength than they have been.

That said our form since the mid-season international has been poor we've not really been comfortable in any games. We know Powell will be 9 and Smith 6, but who plays 7 and backup 9 seems to alter every week, feels to me Peet is letting people have a go and stake a claim but no-one has really stepped up and made themselves an option

Personally id consider resting Smith - i feel like he is struggling and may just need a week on the sidelines to reset. I like Smith i think there is a decent superleauge standard half in there but he struggles with consistency, when he's good he can win a game, but he can be a liability with kicking both place and from hand.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
PJC

Post by PJC »

I’ve seen Wigan play poorly many times, turn themselves around and come back with an unexpected win . Don’t be surprised if this happens. However it doesn’t solve the problem of a much needed bigger and more aggressive pack.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

We need to play eckersly before he decides to move on
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:36 am I know Saints have had a bit of an upturn in form but they arent the team they have been and are more beatable even at full strength than they have been.

That said our form since the mid-season international has been poor we've not really been comfortable in any games. We know Powell will be 9 and Smith 6, but who plays 7 and backup 9 seems to alter every week, feels to me Peet is letting people have a go and stake a claim but no-one has really stepped up and made themselves an option

Personally id consider resting Smith - i feel like he is struggling and may just need a week on the sidelines to reset. I like Smith i think there is a decent superleauge standard half in there but he struggles with consistency, when he's good he can win a game, but he can be a liability with kicking both place and from hand.
Smith plays 7 scrum half 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Suzieb wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:06 pm We need to play eckersly before he decides to move on
How many times have you seen him play? What position would you play him? Who would you drop to fit him in?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:56 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:36 am I know Saints have had a bit of an upturn in form but they arent the team they have been and are more beatable even at full strength than they have been.

Smith plays 7 scrum half 😊
He is number 7 but plays this season predominantly on the left which traditionally is where your stand off plays - though admittedly the roles of the 2 arent as defined in the modern game
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Gut feeling Field.will go back to fullback,he's not a half in a month of Sundays and pp French on the wing,dsspite how well he's played truth is he's far more.pote.t on the wing than at fullback but that leaves the thorny issue of who plays in the halves and yes Smith looks shell shocked at the moment time to rest him soon?
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I would play him at centre in place of king who is missing tackles for fun as I have previously stated on here