Wigan vs Saints match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Shemtatupu

Re: Wigan squad for Saints

Post by Shemtatupu »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:10 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:36 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:46 pm

He is number 7 but plays this season predominantly on the left which traditionally is where your stand off plays - though admittedly the roles of the 2 arent as defined in the modern game
That just isn’t true.
George williams/Sam Tomkins/Blake green last 3 of our 6’s all played left

Most teams play split halves and more often than not the 7 plays on the right hand side the 6 the left

But as I say there is less difference in the role than there once was
You said traditionally and then went back 15 years. Brett Kenny or Dave Bolton didn't play on the left
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why play him on the left when he is a left footed kicker, I don’t understand the logic in that 🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:19 am Why play him on the left when he is a left footed kicker, I don’t understand the logic in that 🤔
It’s a lot easier to kick on the left when you are left footed, the kick pressure is normally coming from the middle of the field so you kicking foot is away from that.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I’ve said all along that Smith should play on the right but it’s not happening why????
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:29 am I’ve said all along that Smith should play on the right but it’s not happening why????
Because you're not the coach?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The Pearl1 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:10 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:19 am Why play him on the left when he is a left footed kicker, I don’t understand the logic in that 🤔
It’s a lot easier to kick on the left when you are left footed, the kick pressure is normally coming from the middle of the field so you kicking foot is away from that.
Oh right, thank you 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Shemtatupu wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:05 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:10 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:36 pm

That just isn’t true.
George williams/Sam Tomkins/Blake green last 3 of our 6’s all played left

Most teams play split halves and more often than not the 7 plays on the right hand side the 6 the left

But as I say there is less difference in the role than there once was
You said traditionally and then went back 15 years. Brett Kenny or Dave Bolton didn't play on the left
Generational semantics I’m 38 so traditional for made is made up largely of the last 25 years or so

With that said the game now is not comparable with Kenny’s time so pointless to draw comparisons that far back

Smith played right when he came Cust was down as 6 playing left this season Harry has been moved to the left which is where you’d expect a stand off to play in the modern game

Realistically it doesn’t make a lot of difference but if I were to draw formation it would have 6 on the left and 7 on the right hence why I said Harry was playing at 6
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Welski

Post by Welski »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:03 pm I've developed a habit over many years of believing that we can improve in our next game, especially following a defeat. It doesn't always happen, of course, but it keeps me positive and happy in the build-up to the next game - call it the "always look on the bright side of life" approach.

It fell apart a bit in the 70s (? George Fairbairn era), when even I had to agree that we were . . . not good. But generally keeps me happy.

The bookies have this one at about 70%/30% in Saints favour, so I'll be deliriously happy if we win, and reasonably happy with a decent performance and a close game.

Everyone to their own.
I’m with you. I have an odd feeling we will do ok tonight.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Sam Tomkins Blake Green George Williams all right footers end of discusion
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:16 pm Sam Tomkins Blake Green George Williams all right footers end of discusion
Which discussion?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐