O'LOUGHLIN - any good?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
feeona

O'LOUGHLIN - any good?

Post by feeona »

With all the brilliant talent coming through at the moment its perhaps easy to get carried away and see all the young uns as potential stars.
It seems to me however that O'Loughlin isnt in the same league as the likes of Briscoe Brown or Robinson. He's not as outstanding or as eager as the others.

One of the things I like is the little chip kick or grubber he does which confuses the defence but apart from that Im struggling to think of why else you would keep him at Wigan.

Does anybody else agree or disagree? I was just wondering what everyone else thought. Or if anybody had noticed any other particularly good qualities that Ive failed to notice.
ellery

Re: O'LOUGHLIN - any good?

Post by ellery »

I disagree O'loughlin tackles above his weight and has quick hands. Personally I'd move him to centre I think he would be fantastic in that position
AnDy WiGaN WaRrIoR

Post by AnDy WiGaN WaRrIoR »

can evry 1 stop pickin on wigan players if its nt farrel and ainscough its sum 1 else give them a rest they played a great match against saints so plz show some respect
pk

Re: Re: O'LOUGHLIN - any good?

Post by pk »

put it this way...what does nick graham offer that sean doesnt? they are both solid in defence...after that, nothing - yet most seem to love graham?

cas away last year, our team made about 107 tackles, o'loughlin made 47 of them. bradford away when he crunched someone twice his size. in defence the guy is amazing and tackles far above his weight. he isnt a stand off and is getting hassle for a managerial and tactical error of buying too many second rows/loose forwards who we try to run with at stand off.

leave sean alone, hes a legend in the making.
sedbergh

Post by sedbergh »

feeona posted:
With all the brilliant talent coming through at the moment its perhaps easy to get carried away and see all the young uns as potential stars.
It seems to me however that O'Loughlin isnt in the same league as the likes of Briscoe Brown or Robinson. He's not as outstanding or as eager as the others.

One of the things I like is the little chip kick or grubber he does which confuses the defence but apart from that Im struggling to think of why else you would keep him at Wigan.

Does anybody else agree or disagree? I was just wondering what everyone else thought. Or if anybody had noticed any other particularly good qualities that Ive failed to notice.
He plays a differnet role to Sean Briscoe etc but I agree with the other comments about his defence. Some players grab the headlines with the tries they score, there are others who work hard in defence. I think he'll continue to improve. We haven't seen the best of him yet.
warriorjon

Post by warriorjon »

I am yet to be impressed with him from what i have seen, admittedly he can have some good games but then again also have some awfull games where his passing is just down right bad, but i think it is more a confidence thing rather than a lack of ability. If things go wel for him to start with he usually plays well but then again one error and his head seems to go. I personally dont think he will be a wigan legend and think he will move on in a few years but i hope he proved me wrong.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ellery posted:
I disagree O'loughlin tackles above his weight and has quick hands. Personally I'd move him to centre I think he would be fantastic in that position
Yeah, I noticed that the team started playing well when O'Loughlin moved into the centres, with Robinson at stand-off. I think that could work well for Wigan. O'Loughlin's tackling is often outstanding, he puts in some big hits. His creativity is a little lacking at the moment, but some players just need a little time to intgrate into the side. I would consider moving him to centre though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
rach15

Re: Re: Re: O'LOUGHLIN - any g...

Post by rach15 »

Sorry Feeona but i toatally disagree with you, O'loughlin is brill and a legend in the making he is outstanding in defence he scored quite a few tries before he got injured and got himself a couple of MOTM earlier this season and last season he was the captain of England 'A' and was brilliant on that tour!

I know why you started this thread, because of his game against Saints when he got sent tothe sin-bin and when he went for the ball instead of kicking it out which led to a saints try but that was just one game and your not looking at him and is usual performances.

Everyone has bad games especially when the players are young and gaining experience, its all part and parcel of giving the young ones a chance sure they will make mistakes but they will learn from their mistakes cause don't forget Sean is only 20.

O'loughlins number 1 fan!!
feeona

Re: Re: Re: Re: O'LOUGHLIN - a...

Post by feeona »

Oh no Ive not posted this thread after the saints game because i know it was the refs mistake for sending him off. Its simply that over this season i have failed to see whats impressive about him.

But is he playing in his preferred position?
becca

Post by becca »

i DISAGREE! I have watched sean since he was a young lad! playin 4 standish eagles then st. pats! if he isn't ne good how cum he's always on the team? he's fast, he's got quick hands, he's a top tackler and apart from that he's got a great bum!- he should win rear of the year! he'll get my vote ne day!