Is your surname Caisley?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Is your surname Caisley?

Post by Mike »

It sounds like it could be :-).Playing against some of the best our players learn is what you are saying, right?First off the majority of the Aussies and Kiwis over here are NOT the best by a long chalk. The best are in the NRL.I would say there are perhaps six or seven Aussies/Kiwis playing over here in 2001 who might, if they were lucky, get a game in the NRL.Players like Clinch and Vowels wouldn't get one and there are many who are past it playing in the UK who were once great, such as Langer and now Walters.The number of 30 something Aussies signed by clubs says it all.What is more the number of overseas imports allowed coupled with the fact that players can come off the overseas quota means clubs are fielding anything between 5,6 and 7 foreign players.They hold down places that should be being filled by UK nationals. You can't expect to see a world class scrum half in a GB shirt such as Andy Gregory when clubs like Wigan (i.e. the top sides) have the half back slots filled with foreign players.If clubs were restricted to one or two foreign players they may spend their dosh on trying to tempt players like Lockyer and Tallis over at their peak. But while they can have 5 or more, the clubs seem obsessed with signing any Aussie at all in preference to nurtering UK talent.The Premier league in soccer is full of overseas players and England are rubbish.GB in RL has gone backwards as the import quota has gone up.Coincidence? No, I think not.I rest my case m'lud
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Overseas players

Post by Mike »

A quick word on the foreigner debate. We all witnesses in the world cup how outclassed we were by Aus and NZL. This after some of the provinces included several debatable nationals in their line ups. We have witnessed in football the affect of playing against the best week in week out. It is up to the nations young players to learn from these stars and work hard at becoming better players and winning a place by right rather than nationality. I wish are game is as strong as in the 80's and 90's but it isn't and something needs to be done to learn from the best. What better way than constant competition against some of them. After all who would you rather- Mark Hilton or Webke?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Is your surname Caisley?

Post by Mike »

English football got their act together by making the youth set up better than the overseas players coming in. Of course not all overseas players are brilliant but would you class Renouf and Dallas as NRL rejects?Remember that some of the pioneers in football were Zola, Bergkamp and Cantona. All these players were considered rejects at the time. The youth set up at clubs need investigating seriously. For instance do Wigan currently search outside of the North West amateur clubs for players?By the way I'm not the person you think I am, just a concerned English rugby fan who was appalled at the semi final display agains NZ.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Re: Is your surname Caisley?

Post by Mike »

Well I didn't really think you were the man in question!As to English football getting it right, where? When?The premiership is overrun with foreign players and England suffer as a result. It may be a fine league but it does not produce a fine international side.That is the same as SL.It will remain so while clubs remain obsessed with Aussies.As to Dallas and Renouf, Dallas would get a game in the NRL, Renouf would not. Not anymore.He is still worth having for his experience but what we don't need is another three players from overseas. We might need them in the short term as we don't have any of our own up to scratch, but the trouble is we never will have unless we bite the bullet and reduce the quota.I to am concerned about our international RL performances and agree the key is the youth setup we need.Perhaps people should get of the back of David Waite and let him set up a youth structure over here as he did in Australia.Dave
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐