Centre merry-go-round

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warriorjon

Centre merry-go-round

Post by warriorjon »

I think now that with Saints announcing the capture of Talau, we are 99% certain to sign Vagana and Bradford will sign Love. Think that the Love Hape centre partnership will be the most destructive but the Vagana hopefully Aspinwall combo will prove the most effective overall as both seem excellent in defence and Vagana is very special going forward, which will also help Aspinwall develope to become the world class centre i think he has the potential to become. Saints too now look very handy with the power house style of Talau and quick feet of Gleeson. All looks to be boiling up nicely for next season already!!!
lyonp

Re: Centre merry-go-round

Post by lyonp »

Sorry, being based in London I seem to have missed something.

We are talking about signing Johns and Vagana, I thought we had a problem with the salary cap inherited from before it was introduced. Where has the room for these signings come from? I know a couple of big earners have left but surely there isn't enough room to pay a player of Johns' stature!

I am happy to be corrected on this!
warriorjon

Re: Re: Centre merry-go-round

Post by warriorjon »

At the moment i think that we are considerably under the cap with the bulk of our team being made up of youngsters who have developed through the ranks and now that Ainscough has gone are even more so. At the end of the year Dallas and Lam come off contract so there are another 2 big earners gone if necessary. Think the vagana deal is prob more or less a done deal but would very much doubt that we will see Johns in the Cherry and White for a fewq years yet.
Deltic3

Re: Re: Re: Centre merry-go-ro...

Post by Deltic3 »

I keep hearing a rumour that we have signed Mark Gasnier. The Vagana deal seems to be just a case of his agents trying to bump his price up. The NZ Warriors want Vagana and as he is a kiwi they may be favourites. Personally i don't mind which one comes as they are both quality. As for Johns i hope that he comes but i realistically think it is just wishful thinking.
warriorjon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Centre merry-g...

Post by warriorjon »

I know i posted earlier in this thread that i think we had as good as signed Vagana but the longer we dont hear anything the more likely i think we are to sign Gasnier, to be honest im not sure of why i think this but it all seems to have gone very quiet on this front almost too quiet. God i sound like its a major conspiracy but i just get the feeling we have not heard the last of the Gasnier situation.