Dallas - In or Out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warrior Wills

Dallas - In or Out

Post by Warrior Wills »

I know it’s a bit bizarre, but is anyone else slightly disappointed that Brett Dallas isn’t leaving. Don’t get me wrong it isn’t that I dislike the fellow, and whilst he wears a Wigan shirt I love the bones of him.
I know Bret has had some rotten luck, but he would be one of the big earners at Wigan, and I just can’t help thinking his wage could be better spent on somebody who actually plays.

Hope you prove me wrong Brett !!!!!
JasonE

Re: Dallas - In or Out

Post by JasonE »

I agree with you
DaveO

Re: Dallas - In or Out

Post by DaveO »

Warrior Wills posted:
I know Bret has had some rotten luck, but he would be one of the big earners at Wigan,
I don't think he is one of the big earners. No way is he in the league of Lam, Farrell, Radders and C Smith.

That said with only four overseas slots available next season I can't see him getting a new deal as we need to keep the other three overseas players we have and sign a big centre. No room for Brett. If the quota for next year was still 5 I would keep him to play outside that big centre we will sign - he may then get a decent pass!

But it isn't 5, its down to 4 so unfortunately we have greater needs than the excellent winger he is.

For the rest of this season its not a problem. Wigan can clearly afford to pay him whatever wage he is on and remain under the salary cap and now Ainscough has left he is one of the few experienced players in the backs.

So I am happy he is here for the rest of this season but expect him to find a new SL side next season now he has knocked back the chance to return to the NRL.

Dave
warriorjon

Re: Re: Dallas - In or Out

Post by warriorjon »

I would agree with you on this one dave, think retaining him till the end of the season shows us ambition for this year in the same way signing Pongia has but i fully expect both to leave at the end of the year. Bret , i think, was offered a pay to play contract in Oz and with his injury record im not surprised he turned it down. Think there must have been interest for next season from a S.L. club and that is where he will go. Wudnt be too suprised to see him playing for Widnes/Warrington/Cas next year too much of a risk for the big 5 clubs. If Wigan were to retain him next year no offence to the lad but i think it would be a step back in times when many positive steps at the club have been made.
warriorjon

Post by warriorjon »

Sorry bout the following edits my comps gone nuts!
warriorjon

Post by warriorjon »

edit
warriorjon

Post by warriorjon »

edit
wolftown warrior

Re: Re: Re: Dallas - In or Out

Post by wolftown warrior »

i admire the commitment shown by dallas towards us.. that is a guy who wants to stay.. ( or is on good money & don`t wanna go! LOL)
either way.. i gotta agree that vhe has been a great servant but with the injuries he has been picking up.. it seems a waste of time keeping him.. if he is gonna spend 60-70 % of the season on the bench..
& i will also be very disapointed if pongia stays more than the remainder of the year!

i think we got the mix of youth & experience just bout right now..
we should be more worried bout trying to convince lam to stay for at least another 12 months..
faz, lam,o`conner & smith have all the experience we need for the youngsters to follow..
rach15

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dallas - In or...

Post by rach15 »

I'm glad he's staying i think he's a great winger and the fastest in the squad, but i now what your saying about only having the 4 over sea's players and if were signing a new centre and if we keep Graham than he might have to go unless M.L doesn't give Lam an extended contract!
O'loughlins number 1 fan!!