Manfredi told he can leave total betrayal by the club

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Manfredi told he can leave total betrayal by the club

Post by DaveO »

Fujiman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:03 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:37 pm

How do you release a contracted player?
Quite easily. How do you think G Burgess was released? It's actually in the rules how it's done and why it can be done.
I wouldn't say Quite Easy if the player doesn't want to be released though. Sounded like GB was happy with the terms.
The players are insured and termination of employment due to injury will be covered by the players contract. It's not the same as a player spitting the dummy out and not leaving a club when he's told he's not wanted.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:15 pm
Fujiman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Quite easily. How do you think G Burgess was released? It's actually in the rules how it's done and why it can be done.
I wouldn't say Quite Easy if the player doesn't want to be released though. Sounded like GB was happy with the terms.
The players are insured and termination of employment due to injury will be covered by the players contract. It's not the same as a player spitting the dummy out and not leaving a club when he's told he's not wanted.
I think it’s clear Burgess was a carrying that injury would that be covered by insurance?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:35 pm To assess the way this has been handled you have to look at the bigger picture i.e. how the club has dealt with this over a longer term.

The club was seemingly well thought of for standing by a player who had a very serious injury. Then when he came back he was injured again but the club still let Tom Davies leave who must have wondered what he'd done wrong to be behind an injury prone player. It's no surprise he wanted to leave (which I believe he did).

In my opinion it should never have come this this. Manfredi should have been released when it became apparent how long he was going to be out for. It's a salary capped sport and under Mo Lindsay he'd have gone and Davies would have been given a deal.

Manfredi is very lucky he's been kept on so long. My issue with the club is not that they suddenly decided to let him go and this is disloyal (it isn't) but they wasted a first team slot, wasted cap space and probably lost his direct replacement to Les Cats as a result of prevaricating for so long.

Manfredi's replacement look to be this bloke from London which if true is a joke.
Tom Davies wanted to leave.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

One thing that we never seem to get right is dealing with players with long term injuries. We seem to get the worst of all possible worlds - if Tomkins had played for us as he is playing now we would have probably kept him. Instead he barely paid for us and cost us over a million. We won’t know how good Dom is, and how much to pay him until after he’s gone, having nursed him back from injury time and time again. I don’t know anything about whether insurance covers injuries, or if we write appearance clauses into contracts, but I fear in Dom’s case it will happen yet again that we paid him for 3 years of rehab and then watch him thrive else where. Grrrr
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Hindsight. I totally got the feeling in which this thread started and if money and no cap was in place I would also wanted the club looking after Dom.
Looks like the clubs stance waiting to see how this went before sorting a contract out was maybe right though? I did get told that Dom was happy enough to see how it went and was in no rush to sign up anywhere else....
I can imagine now if we had signed him on a two year deal this thread would be all about what was IL and Rads thinking. On this one the club can't win. I agree with what they have done it was the right call.
I love watching Dom play, his return game when he scored late in the season against Wire and his GF performance are two of my fondest memories watching sport not just Wigan. If he.... and God I hope he does..... finally recovers and its not at Wigan and then he comes back to haunt us I would have no problem with it, he more than deserves some luck!
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

lucky 13 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:45 am Hindsight. I totally got the feeling in which this thread started and if money and no cap was in place I would also wanted the club looking after Dom.
Looks like the clubs stance waiting to see how this went before sorting a contract out was maybe right though? I did get told that Dom was happy enough to see how it went and was in no rush to sign up anywhere else....
I can imagine now if we had signed him on a two year deal this thread would be all about what was IL and Rads thinking. On this one the club can't win. I agree with what they have done it was the right call.
I love watching Dom play, his return game when he scored late in the season against Wire and his GF performance are two of my fondest memories watching sport not just Wigan. If he.... and God I hope he does..... finally recovers and its not at Wigan and then he comes back to haunt us I would have no problem with it, he more than deserves some luck!
Think you got it pretty bang on there lucky 13.
It does feel a dammed if you do or dammed if you don’t moment, but I do feel with the game being salary capped sometimes your hands can be tied.
Saying that though I think Wigan have done good standing by Dom all these years. If he leaves and he comes back to haunt us I will take it on the chin as he’s exceptional player when he is fully fit and he’s great to watch
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Barney841 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 am
lucky 13 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:45 am Hindsight. I totally got the feeling in which this thread started and if money and no cap was in place I would also wanted the club looking after Dom.
Think you got it pretty bang on there lucky 13.
It does feel a dammed if you do or dammed if you don’t moment, but I do feel with the game being salary capped sometimes your hands can be tied.
Saying that though I think Wigan have done good standing by Dom all these years. If he leaves and he comes back to haunt us I will take it on the chin as he’s exceptional player when he is fully fit and he’s great to watch
If that was the case and Dom came to haunt Wigan every game I’d say this well done to the lad and as you say take it on the chin,sometimes things just don’t work out and I do fear this is one of those times
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I am told that he is considering retirement. Would be a shame.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:23 pm I am told that he is considering retirement. Would be a shame.
It is a shame, but he seems to have persistent issues and with high shot rules let's will be targeted alot more in tackles
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:23 pm I am told that he is considering retirement. Would be a shame.
Very sad but there comes a time when you have to admit it’s over