Manfredi told he can leave total betrayal by the club

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Manfredi told he can leave total betrayal by the club

Post by DaveO » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:15 pm

Fujiman wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 pm
DaveO wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:03 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:37 pm

How do you release a contracted player?
Quite easily. How do you think G Burgess was released? It's actually in the rules how it's done and why it can be done.
I wouldn't say Quite Easy if the player doesn't want to be released though. Sounded like GB was happy with the terms.
The players are insured and termination of employment due to injury will be covered by the players contract. It's not the same as a player spitting the dummy out and not leaving a club when he's told he's not wanted.

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm

DaveO wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:15 pm
Fujiman wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 pm
DaveO wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Quite easily. How do you think G Burgess was released? It's actually in the rules how it's done and why it can be done.
I wouldn't say Quite Easy if the player doesn't want to be released though. Sounded like GB was happy with the terms.
The players are insured and termination of employment due to injury will be covered by the players contract. It's not the same as a player spitting the dummy out and not leaving a club when he's told he's not wanted.
I think it’s clear Burgess was a carrying that injury would that be covered by insurance?

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:50 pm

DaveO wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:35 pm
To assess the way this has been handled you have to look at the bigger picture i.e. how the club has dealt with this over a longer term.

The club was seemingly well thought of for standing by a player who had a very serious injury. Then when he came back he was injured again but the club still let Tom Davies leave who must have wondered what he'd done wrong to be behind an injury prone player. It's no surprise he wanted to leave (which I believe he did).

In my opinion it should never have come this this. Manfredi should have been released when it became apparent how long he was going to be out for. It's a salary capped sport and under Mo Lindsay he'd have gone and Davies would have been given a deal.

Manfredi is very lucky he's been kept on so long. My issue with the club is not that they suddenly decided to let him go and this is disloyal (it isn't) but they wasted a first team slot, wasted cap space and probably lost his direct replacement to Les Cats as a result of prevaricating for so long.

Manfredi's replacement look to be this bloke from London which if true is a joke.
Tom Davies wanted to leave.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:28 pm

One thing that we never seem to get right is dealing with players with long term injuries. We seem to get the worst of all possible worlds - if Tomkins had played for us as he is playing now we would have probably kept him. Instead he barely paid for us and cost us over a million. We won’t know how good Dom is, and how much to pay him until after he’s gone, having nursed him back from injury time and time again. I don’t know anything about whether insurance covers injuries, or if we write appearance clauses into contracts, but I fear in Dom’s case it will happen yet again that we paid him for 3 years of rehab and then watch him thrive else where. Grrrr