Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Bevan French - STAYING

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I notice that Wayne Bennett’s dolphins don’t yet have a fullback for 2023 and the backs are bit on the lacking side
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:28 am I notice that Wayne Bennett’s dolphins don’t yet have a fullback for 2023 and the backs are bit on the lacking side
Been told by someone as reliable as it gets that "he is signing his contract this morning, interviews all done"

I then posted on the evening of the day I was told that.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Signing with Wigan today?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

As much as we rate him, I don't think any NRL club would consider Bevan a first choice fullback (or the wing) simply because of his size. I know someone will now post that Bev isn't that short but I've stood next to him and he's slight for a RL player. I suspect that only Jai in the first team squad weighs less. The only 'small' fullback that has been a success in the NRL in recent years has been Billy Slater and, let's be honest, he was one of the all time greats and even quicker than Bevan. I feel a bit sorry for Bev in that he'd really like a job back home in Aus but you could argue that he's lucky to have a great alternative here. I love him, he has star quality and I'm confident that we can accommodate both he and Jai effectively. I can't wait until he re-signs with us then we can sort out Bibby's replacement and look forward with even more confidence to 2023.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

southportcdm wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm As much as we rate him, I don't think any NRL club would consider Bevan a first choice fullback (or the wing) simply because of his size. I know someone will now post that Bev isn't that short but I've stood next to him and he's slight for a RL player. I suspect that only Jai in the first team squad weighs less. The only 'small' fullback that has been a success in the NRL in recent years has been Billy Slater and, let's be honest, he was one of the all time greats and even quicker than Bevan. I feel a bit sorry for Bev in that he'd really like a job back home in Aus but you could argue that he's lucky to have a great alternative here. I love him, he has star quality and I'm confident that we can accommodate both he and Jai effectively. I can't wait until he re-signs with us then we can sort out Bibby's replacement and look forward with even more confidence to 2023.
Papenhuyzen, Ponga, Barba, Drinkwater
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Bevan was one of the best try scorers in the NRL before he joined us & played well at both FB and WR. Parramatta just chose Ferguson, Gutherson & Sivo over French and the rest is history.

35 tries in 47 games in the NRL in your early 20s breaking the Eels' rookie try record is nothing to sniff at.
Last edited by wgwr1999 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

southportcdm wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm As much as we rate him, I don't think any NRL club would consider Bevan a first choice fullback (or the wing) simply because of his size. I know someone will now post that Bev isn't that short but I've stood next to him and he's slight for a RL player. I suspect that only Jai in the first team squad weighs less. The only 'small' fullback that has been a success in the NRL in recent years has been Billy Slater and, let's be honest, he was one of the all time greats and even quicker than Bevan. I feel a bit sorry for Bev in that he'd really like a job back home in Aus but you could argue that he's lucky to have a great alternative here. I love him, he has star quality and I'm confident that we can accommodate both he and Jai effectively. I can't wait until he re-signs with us then we can sort out Bibby's replacement and look forward with even more confidence to 2023.
Jayden campbell at the titans springs to mind. Only a young kid big future ahead of him. Would be nowhere the bottom if he was playing every week but he’s always injured
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

wgwr1999 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:45 pm Bevan was one of the best try scorers in the NRL before he joined us & played well at both FB and WR. Parramatta just chose Ferguson, Gutherson & Sivo over French and the rest is history.

35 tries in 47 games in the NRL in your early 20s breaking the Eels' rookie try record is nothing to sniff at.
Spot on.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I wonder why there hasn't been an announcement on French.

It doesnt look good in my humble opinion. Hope my feelings are wrong because I would have thought the loss of the young lad to Warrington would have been balanced out by an announcement on French.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:33 pm I wonder why there hasn't been an announcement on French.

It doesnt look good in my humble opinion. Hope my feelings are wrong because I would have thought the loss of the young lad to Warrington would have been balanced out by an announcement on French.
They may be leaving it until Sunday 🥰
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan