Richie Mathers

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
wrighty13

Richie Mathers

Post by wrighty13 »

Heard a rumourt from a dirty leeds fan thats very close to Mathers faimly. and the word is hes homesick and wants to come home, with Wigan being hhis prefered choice
Cruncher

Re: Richie Mathers

Post by Cruncher »

wrighty13 posted:
Heard a rumourt from a dirty leeds fan thats very close to Mathers faimly. and the word is hes homesick and wants to come home, with Wigan being hhis prefered choice
What does everyone else think about this?

I was never sure that I rated Mathers so highly. He could score tries, sure, but defensively I always thought him weak. There'd also be the added stigma of him being 'a player who failed in Aus'.

Having said that, we need another FB next year and if Mathers 'wants' to come to Wigan, then I'd certainly look at him twice.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

Cruncher posted:
wrighty13 posted:

I was never sure that I rated Mathers so highly. He could score tries, sure, but defensively I always thought him weak. There'd also be the added stigma of him being 'a player who failed in Aus'.

Having said that, we need another FB next year and if Mathers 'wants' to come to Wigan, then I'd certainly look at him twice.
I dont know how he,s doing over in Aus but if he,s only coming home because he is home sick i dont think you can say he's a failed player.I would have him as a stint over there should have brought him on as a player.
moffsta

Post by moffsta »

posted this as a thought on the Briscoe topic, he's mine and my brothers tip to be in cherry and white next season..... watch this space :wink:
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

gillysmyhero posted:
Cruncher posted:
wrighty13 posted:

I dont know how he,s doing over in Aus but if he,s only coming home because he is home sick i dont think you can say he's a failed player.I would have him as a stint over there should have brought him on as a player.
Certainly, but that won't stop the trolls and idiots from saying it.

It's only a minor issue, however. If he was genuinely interested in coming to Wigan, then as a Wigan fan, I'd be genuinely interested in seeing him wear our shirt.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

The question is Mathers or Briscoe who would you rather have ? :doz:
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

gillysmyhero posted:
As someone said earlier, it really depends on how well Mathers has been playing in Aus.

As they're both young and British, there's no real preference there. Briscoe is a Wiganer, but that's not the be-all and end-all for me. Besides, Briscoe seems to have reached something of a career plateau. He's a good attacker, and he's okay in defence (not brilliant, by a long chalk). He's also an out-and-out full back, which Ashton certainly isn't. But he hasn't improved a great deal in the last few years.

If Mathers has come on in leaps and bounds, then, given the choice, I think I'd be more interested in him.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

Cruncher posted:
gillysmyhero posted:
As someone said earlier, it really depends on how well Mathers has been playing in Aus.

As they're both young and British, there's no real preference there. Briscoe is a Wiganer, but that's not the be-all and end-all for me. seems Besides, Briscoe to have reached something of a career plateau. He's a good attacker, and he's okay in defence (not brilliant, by a long chalk). He's also an out-and-out full back, which Ashton certainly isn't. But he hasn't improved a great deal in the last few years.

If Mathers has come on in leaps and bounds, then, given the choice, I think I'd be more interested in him.
I agree with you about Briscoe & also i think i would go for Mathers.But like you would not be botherd if it was Briscoe who came back.
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Cruncher posted:
gillysmyhero posted:

As they're both young and British, there's no real preference there. Briscoe is a Wiganer, but that's not the be-all and end-all for me. Besides, Briscoe seems to have reached something of a career plateau. He's a good attacker, and he's okay in defence (not brilliant, by a long chalk). He's also an out-and-out full back, which Ashton certainly isn't. But he hasn't improved a great deal in the last few years.

I have been watching a lot of the Australian games on Sentena as well as the rugby talk shows. Mathers is not getting first grade rugby for the Titans, and as far as i am aware has not been picked yet this season! Personally, i think Briscoe is the better player of the two and i know his heat is still at Wigan.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Cruncher posted:
wrighty13 posted:

IMO, better than Briscoe.