RL On Setanta Next Year

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Brad5926

Re: RL On Setanta Next Yea...

Post by Brad5926 »

i'd pay it if more games were covered. would like to see more games on TV plus there would be the NRL aswell. I don't want to get it now because i would onli watch the NRL at weekends that would be it so i see it as a waste of money, but diffrent story if there was super league to
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

eddie and stevo along with clarki are not signed on to sky they are free agents they can do what they like they dont only present sky shows they can present what they like.......

but if true not good news.......

my nan will deffo not be happy.........
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I'd quite happily ditch Sky Sports in favour of Setanta, if that happened.
Leyther Pie

Post by Leyther Pie »

GeoffN posted:
I'd quite happily ditch Sky Sports in favour of Setanta, if that happened.
Me too Geoff :D
I've never felt more like singing the Blues
When the Wiganers win and the Leythers lose.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Apart from the obvious of outbidding Sky for RL thus giving the game more money what would Sentanta do as far as promoting the game goes?

Would it be the case the BBC could not even have highlights for the SL show?

I think from what I have read elsewhere Sentanta seem to be offering stiff competition to Sky for some mainstream sports.

If this is true I won't be concerned but what I would not like to happen is for RL to be shown on a niche channel the casual sports fan never watches. We would missing out on promoting the game to a wider audience if that is what happened.

I suppose I am sayng the RFL need to look at which TV company will do the most to promote RL and has the widest audience not just how much they will get money-wise.

I doubt they will see it that way though!

Dave

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
Apart from the obvious of outbidding Sky for RL thus giving the game more money what would Sentanta do as far as promoting the game goes?

Would it be the case the BBC could not even have highlights for the SL show?

I think from what I have read elsewhere Sentanta seem to be offering stiff competition to Sky for some mainstream sports.

If this is true I won't be concerned but what I would not like to happen is for RL to be shown on a niche channel the casual sports fan never watches. We would missing out on promoting the game to a wider audience if that is what happened.

I suppose I am sayng the RFL need to look at which TV company will do the most to promote RL and has the widest audience not just how much they will get money-wise.

I doubt they will see it that way though!

Dave
I don't think Sky promote RL; they just promote themselves. Any games they're not covering (eg CC games) are practically ignored.

I don't think we get any "converts" because of Sky; maybe if the BBC started to take us seriously we might, but I don't see that happening.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:

I don't think Sky promote RL; they just promote themselves. Any games they're not covering (eg CC games) are practically ignored.
They don't ignore the games they do broadcast and they advertise them to their subscribers. So if Sky has more Sky Sports subscribers than Sentanta has subscribers, it stands to reason RL is being promoted to a wider TV audience by Sky.

There is no guarantee Sentanta would promote the CC either.

It is just a numbers thing and the wider the subscriber base the better IMO.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
GeoffN posted:

They don't ignore the games they do broadcast and they advertise them to their subscribers. So if Sky has more Sky Sports subscribers than Sentanta has subscribers, it stands to reason RL is being promoted to a wider TV audience by Sky.

There is no guarantee Sentanta would promote the CC either.

It is just a numbers thing and the wider the subscriber base the better IMO.

Dave
Perhaps so Dave; I don't have access to the Sky viewing figures for RL over the last 10 years, but I suspect they haven't increased that much (compared to the increase in crowds, which has much more to do with the improved marketing by the individual clubs).

Warrior4eva

Post by Warrior4eva »

I was studying the creation of 'Super League' a few weeks ago and without going into far to many details it is sad to say that SKY was the saviour of Rugby League.

Rugby league clubs were on there knees prior to super league. Sky then held talks with the chairman of rugby league of which Mr Lindsay( Like him or not) was instrumental.

SKY litrully said if you create the consept of 'Super League we will offer you £50million Sky knew there was a market that wasn't been exploited and nearly every rugby league fan would go out and buy a Sky dish just so they could get there rugby league fix. As long as this continues SKY will continue to promote Super League.

Rugby league then decided to accept the deal, sorted there admin out and put it financial guidlines to stop clubs from been run at losses i.e salary cap and all clubs sorted out their marketing. Mr Lindsay renogiated the deal and ending up getting in the region of £87million for the clubs.

If we were to go to Sentana I think we would be stabbing Sky in the back after all they have done to help re create rugby league but Rugby been a business you have to go were the money is for the future of the game. How many people who we are trying to promote to, to expand the game are going to fork out extra money every week to purchase Sentantato see what all te fuss is about. Existing rugby fans on this site have already said they wouldn't so I think it will be bad move.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

RFL needs to realise that it would be an extra finacial burden on fans if they went to Sentanta. They need to get the best deal but they also must remeber the fans.

This is not the premier league. Weve not sold out.