Ryles to re-sign with St George

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Cruncher

Re: Ryles to re-sign with ...

Post by Cruncher »

Bert's Medal posted:
From what I understand, Ryles was something of a smokescreen at Wigan.

What I've heard (from within the club) is that we've signed Coley for next season, but want him for this season also (i.e. by paying a fee as with Fielden). :thum:
That wouldn't surprise me, but excuse me if I still fall about laughing.

You put a smokescreen up to conceal something important. So for example, Wigan making a move for Jason Ryles might have been a good smokescreen for them actually signing Jamie Peacock or Fui Fui Moi Moi.

But no - they pretend they're signing one of the best prop forwards in the world as a smokescreen to disguise the fact that they're actually signing Andy Coley from Salford. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I like Coley. But given a choice between the two ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Bert's Medal posted:
From what I understand, Ryles was something of a smokescreen at Wigan.
I can't see it being used in that way by the club. The first words from the club were "he is too expensive so we won't sign him". The only people saying he would sign were the fans. I think Wigan were genuinely interested but he priced himself out of contention and has decided to stay put.

I think we will see this more often in future. Top Aussie players will come for a meg-bucks contract with players like Barrett the exception rather than the rule. If top money is not on offer they won't leave the NRL for an extra £20K a year.
What I've heard (from within the club) is that we've signed Coley for next season, but want him for this season also (i.e. by paying a fee as with Fielden). :thum:
Coley is OK but the benchmark to judge any such signing by is Logan. Is he as good as him? I don't think Coley has the size to be so. Coley would add some depth to the squad but our front row still would not be as good as that which finished last season.

Dave
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

In a write up in SMH were mentioned to be the only realistic english movers for petro after he rejected a 1 year deal with broncos. couple of nrl looking at him aswell.
Aslo says were going to miss out on ryles. Hes staying with the dragons.
Bert's Medal

Post by Bert's Medal »

Cruncher posted

You put a smokescreen up to conceal something important. So for example, Wigan making a move for Jason Ryles might have been a good smokescreen for them actually signing Jamie Peacock or Fui Fui Moi Moi.

But no - they pretend they're signing one of the best prop forwards in the world as a smokescreen to disguise the fact that they're actually signing Andy Coley from Salford. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I like Coley. But given a choice between the two ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 'smokescreen' was that Ryles was always likely to stay in the NRL & Wigan knew this.

I believe that Coley would do a very good job at Wigan - plays well above his body weight for 80 mins in needbe & knows his way to the tryline (as he proved recently against us!).[/quote]
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Bert's Medal posted:
Cruncher posted

The 'smokescreen' was that Ryles was always likely to stay in the NRL & Wigan knew this.

I believe that Coley would do a very good job at Wigan - plays well above his body weight for 80 mins in needbe & knows his way to the tryline (as he proved recently against us!).
[/quote]

Don't you think it's a bit like the 'smokescreen' that we were signing Brett Kimmorely, when in reality we were signing Dennis Moran. :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, I hope Coley comes and that he comes before the end of the year. He's a useful forward. But we're never going to be the force we were if we keep treating signings of this standard as though they're massively significant.