Big changes afoot

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Cruncher

Re: READ THIS ---RFL anoun...

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
Cruncher posted:
So we're not actually providing incentives for clubs to produce home-grown players (like salary cap exemptions), we're providing further punishments if they don't.

And for a brief time earlier today, I was quite excited.
The press releases doesn't say what punishment will be meted out if clubs fail to comply. No mention either of how they will force clubs to have only 5 overseas players.

To be honest I am not sure incentives would work anyway. Yes we would benefit from incentives to produce young players but clubs who don't know may conclude the incentives were not worth forgoing the ease of signing ready made Kolpack players.

At least this rule will force clubs who have been notoriously poor at producing any players to do so.

Dave
Unfortunately, I still think it keeps us a poor man's game. We're starting to sink under the weight of bureaucracy and constraint.
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

cap change maybe a good thing maybe a bad thing who knows until it is tested..........

glad it didnt happen last year because that would have been us hung drawn and quartered.....

i still think ewe went over the cap last year..........
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
The press releases doesn't say what punishment will be meted out if clubs fail to comply. No mention either of how they will force clubs to have only 5 overseas players.

To be honest I am not sure incentives would work anyway. Yes we would benefit from incentives to produce young players but clubs who don't know may conclude the incentives were not worth forgoing the ease of signing ready made Kolpack players.

At least this rule will force clubs who have been notoriously poor at producing any players to do so.

Dave
Presumably since the SL chairmen voted for it, it will effectively be a voluntary agreement.

I'd have liked to see it done on incentive lines - maybe linked with differential salary cap payments, as was suggested a while back; where only a percentage of a home-grown player's wage counts towards the cap.

I'm just glad they're finally doing something about it, though, even if it isn't perfect.