stand off for 09

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
thomo

Re: stand off for 09

Post by thomo »

Before we start worryinhg and planning who will play six - we should focus on getting a pack that goes forward and will lay a platform for the halves to play from.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

I don't think Phelps knows were he wants to play really, he said in an interview for the match day program that he will play anywhere but prefers to be in the middle right in the action.

Phelps is a good all round player, he has some pace to play on the wing and handling skills to play at centre. He can play at full back, his last match in the NRL was at full back and he didn't well in attack but was woeful in defence (tackling technique is not the best).

Phelps could fill in at Stand off but Wigan wouldn't do very well if he had to play there for a full season. He doesn't have the vision or the kicking game. If Phelps did played Stand-off then Wigan would have poor in-field kicking game because no one in the squad other than Smith has any accuracy with kicks.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

MrDave wrote:I don't think Phelps knows were he wants to play really, he said in an interview for the match day program that he will play anywhere but prefers to be in the middle right in the action.

Phelps is a good all round player, he has some pace to play on the wing and handling skills to play at centre. He can play at full back, his last match in the NRL was at full back and he didn't well in attack but was woeful in defence (tackling technique is not the best).

Phelps could fill in at Stand off but Wigan wouldn't do very well if he had to play there for a full season. He doesn't have the vision or the kicking game. If Phelps did played Stand-off then Wigan would have poor in-field kicking game because no one in the squad other than Smith has any accuracy with kicks.
How do you know he has no kicking game or vision he has played on the wing and at center spending 20 mins at hooker and similar at fullback he had no chance to show any field kicking or for that matter vision , he played most of his youth and lower grade at 6 and from all acounts as just never had the chance at his prefared position .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

If Smith doesn't come back then we are in deep trouble! Tommy isn't good enough and Phelps is merely a squad player. Our only hope is young Tompkins, but he really needs another 12 months in the reserves punctuated with several starts in the first team.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Paleaaesina_Da_Beast

Post by Paleaaesina_Da_Beast »

smith to play standoff next year :conf:
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/x+Danny+Ric+x.png[/img]

--------

Gaz Hock, Man of Steel 2009

---------

Bradford 30 - 31 Wigan
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:If Smith doesn't come back then we are in deep trouble! Tommy isn't good enough and Phelps is merely a squad player. Our only hope is young Tompkins, but he really needs another 12 months in the reserves punctuated with several starts in the first team.
It is noticeable how scathing of thomas leuluai the kiwi press and former players have been, particularly his "creativity" and kicking. This has been a problem during his stay at the club and will in my opinion, unless he performs miracles next season, see him move onto another team when his contract runs out.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The problem with smith at 6 is he has no pace and therefore provides no running threat.

The problem with Lockyer at 6 is that the SL style will make him look rubbish. He would have no dummy runners and no set moves to work from. We would complain all he did was shift the ball from side to side.

SL needs a big, fast, running 6, maybe one that can bash through a line with sheer size. Skill is not particularly useful. Leon price fits the bill - looks great in SL and has no effect at all in internationals.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

I totally agree Dave, I've been saying the same thing for moths! I sais then that Campese would be a good replacement for TB.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Soory I meant Mike.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Mike wrote:The problem with smith at 6 is he has no pace and therefore provides no running threat.

The problem with Lockyer at 6 is that the SL style will make him look rubbish. He would have no dummy runners and no set moves to work from. We would complain all he did was shift the ball from side to side.

SL needs a big, fast, running 6, maybe one that can bash through a line with sheer size. Skill is not particularly useful. Leon price fits the bill - looks great in SL and has no effect at all in internationals.
Like Trent Barrett you mean? great upper body strength, but not huge by any measure.
Pryce Has moments. that is all. Tim Smith will be good next season just give him a chance. He was one of the few Wigan players I saw beat a man just on pace and step last year, he was organising the plays whenever he got on the pitch, right from his first game. He's here. let's give him a chane and support him.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09