Re: Homesick Smith keen to head home

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

exile in Tiger country wrote:
DaveO wrote:
exile in Tiger country wrote: Even if that absence is helping with the health of that player? If Tim Smith had damaged a cruciate ligament, broken a bone or similar, would you expext him to be in training?
Well no offence but isn't that a rather silly question? Injured players obviously can't train so did this qualification need to be made?

It's also irrelevant to Smith as Smith hasn't any such injury as far as I know.
His mental health problems are well documented, Wigan took him on knowing the health problems he has had. If an extra week or three in Aus helps him sort himself out, then great. Good on the club for helping an (allgedly) unsettled player sort himself out and get in the proper frame of mind to return to training ready to go.
If he isn't mentally well enough to attend pre-season training I seriously doubt he is in a fit mental state to come over at all.

In any case I was making a general point about the pre-season training. If it's an important part of the build up to the season then the players need to be in attendance IMO and I don't think Smith is/was the only late arrival.

There seems little value in friendlies and the training if key players are not present.

Dave
A mental health problem is just as much a problem as a broken leg torn muscle etc.
A mental health problem can be far more physically debilitating than a musculo/skeletal problem. Just because it can't be seen, doesn't make it less of a problem. [/b]
If Smith is absent from pre-season training due to a mental health problem I will reiterate what I said above which was - If he isn't mentally well enough to attend pre-season training I seriously doubt he is in a fit mental state to come over at all.

You don't just switch this sort of thing on and off and it doesn't heal like a ligament or broken bone so if he isn't ready now he never will be IMO.

We are going through the build up to the season and a key player is missing and for whatever reason he is missing (a mental health issue is after all pure speculation) its not a good situation.

Dave
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Let's stop buggering about with Aussies who have little or no commitment to the club. If we are to invest in overseas stars, then let's stick with Kiwis - they have served us faithfully in the past. The Tim Smith situation will eventually affect team spirit.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i hope to see sam tomkins get alot more playing time this season. If your good enough your old enough
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

waterside glens wrote:i hope to see sam tomkins get alot more playing time this season. If your good enough your old enough
I'm not holding my breathe.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

Not with Noble im not!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Tomkins won't let us down, he never has yet.

I heard Smith didn't come back for pre season. Still out on the piss with his mates in Oz.
Up The Mont!
viva_seddo13

Post by viva_seddo13 »

Release Smith and sign greg bird! problem solved
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Smith declared: "Wigan were very good to me taking me in and I want to re-pay that faith.

"There was talk I wanted to leave, I heard it a few times back home.

"I don't know who started the rumours. But I kept in contact with Brian and I was always coming back.

"It's definitely a culture shock, especially coming from 30 degrees heat to minus two or three.

"However, I know the Aussie guys like Mark Riddell, Phil Bailey and Amos Roberts.

"In fact, we've got a great squad here and if we play for 80 minutes, we can match it with anyone. Hopefully, that's the case this season.

"There are a lot of young guys coming through and they can make us stronger as well. If we get the things done that we need to get done we can have a really big year.

"Wigan is the club everyone knows in Australia and I want to help them win trophies again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby/200 ... -21103627/
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: