Latest On Greg Bird

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Latest On Greg Bird

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

MrDave wrote:From Fox News:
He (Greg Bird) is due to face court in April on charges of reckless wounding, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and two charges of lying to police.
From the kiwi papers it appears that the charges are "lesser" if you could call them that!
Bird faces charges of reckless wounding, public mischief and making false accusations and must return to court on April 27
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4798177a10713.html

So it "sounds" like he has been reckless, lied and been charged with making false accusations! Hardly worth a death sentence, especially with britains own brigade of thugs roaming the streets.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
He (Greg Bird) is due to face court in April on charges of reckless wounding, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and two charges of lying to police.
From the kiwi papers it appears that the charges are "lesser" if you could call them that!
Bird faces charges of reckless wounding, public mischief and making false accusations and must return to court on April 27

So it "sounds" like he has been reckless, lied and been charged with making false accusations! Hardly worth a death sentence, especially with britains own brigade of thugs roaming the streets.
Not really "lesser" charges, reckless wounding is the same as reckless GBH and which can be a maximum of 10 years in prison. Lying to the police and making false accusations don't carry much punishments themselves but are aggravating factors for the wounding charge.

Without knowing the full facts of the case its hard to say whether he will get a slap on the wrist or a prison sentence. Being a sports star and having some money to spend on a lawyer he will probably get off scot free.

He will have to be in Australia for the trial so if Wigan do sign him he will miss a few matches in April and if he is found guilty he might have to serve his sentence in Australia whether in prison or not.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

MrDave wrote:
wall_of_voodoo wrote:

Not really "lesser" charges, reckless wounding is the same as reckless GBH and which can be a maximum of 10 years in prison. Lying to the police and making false accusations don't carry much punishments themselves but are aggravating factors for the wounding charge.

Without knowing the full facts of the case its hard to say whether he will get a slap on the wrist or a prison sentence. Being a sports star and having some money to spend on a lawyer he will probably get off scot free.

He will have to be in Australia for the trial so if Wigan do sign him he will miss a few matches in April and if he is found guilty he might have to serve his sentence in Australia whether in prison or not.
Thats a great pic at the bottom of your posts :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Personally I dont think Wigan should have signed Tim Smith, especially with knowing of his Bi-Polar problems. His illness can be a real problem, exagerated by being thousands of miles away from home and now mixing with different people (no stability to look to).
If the press recordings are true, he will be heading back to Australia, and if that is the case, then his short stint at Wigan has been waisted time. Sam Tomkins should have been given a chance along side TB, even if TB was at 13, to bring him on.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

MrDave wrote:
Are you a barrister? (I admit that I am not - however....) There are many forms of charges for injury and reckless gbh is the lowest (gbh with intent coming next), so it is likely his defence will plead either provocation or lack of responsibility under the grounds that he was "under the influence". Either way, with his gf refusing to make a statement, the police (and prosecution service) will have very little to "go on" imo (very similar to feka, with the person involved dropping chrges, yet feka being still charged with evidence taken from witnesses and cctv - only getting community service).

As for 10 years for NOT MURDERING someone - is this likely? Even in australia??? I think to many episodes of morse have been watched by someone :wink:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Perhaps Tommy and Smithy can both stay in Aus whilst Bird and Thurston can travel in the opposite direction. Any player who has played for the green and golds is too good to turn down.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

in the express today... reports us making an offer for greg bird with phelps going the other way.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Hooray! Now that's what I call good business.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

I really really dont want Greg Bird over here! anyway I heard that there were a load of NRL clubs that wanted him, which is why Sharks wont just give him a striaght release, cos they dont want him playing for anyone else!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Are you a barrister? (I admit that I am not - however....) There are many forms of charges for injury and reckless gbh is the lowest (gbh with intent coming next), so it is likely his defence will plead either provocation or lack of responsibility under the grounds that he was "under the influence". Either way, with his gf refusing to make a statement, the police (and prosecution service) will have very little to "go on" imo (very similar to feka, with the person involved dropping chrges, yet feka being still charged with evidence taken from witnesses and cctv - only getting community service).

As for 10 years for NOT MURDERING someone - is this likely? Even in australia??? I think to many episodes of morse have been watched by someone :wink:
Offenses Against the person go in this order: Assault, Battery, ABH, GBH, GBH with intent obvious GBH with intent is the most serious. If the Australian legal system is the same as the English then he cannot use provacation as that is only a defence to murder and being under the influence is not a defence to crimes committed recklessly because you are reckless to become under the influence, it would be a defence to GBH with intent which would be reduced to reckless GBH.

On another note, the Daily Express this morning has the story that Wigan have made an offer for Greg Bird which is a cash and player exchange offer, the player being exchanged is Cameron Phelps.