Michael Dobson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
GeoffN

Re: Michael Dobson

Post by GeoffN »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:
We need to sign at least a top class prop and a quality No7 if the club is to go forward in 2010. We also need to decide if the likes of Phelps and Carmont will be able to cut the mustard next season.
We won't be getting a srum half after just renewing TL's contract.

If we were called St Helens then we would be able to accomodate Gleeson, improve the contracts of our young players and yet still sign top players from down under. Who are they going to ditch once Soliola arrives?
Gidley.
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

Seeing what Smith can do with the ball convinces me that we do need to get a suitable replacement though Dobson isn't it. Cant see why we would be looking for a hooker. As said MM is really showing some class and I still believe (sorry CP) that piggy will show his class and Lulu is def a hooker.

Seems to be a few rumours flying around about ex-players coming back; I think Long, Johnson & Newton have all been mentioned. Cant believe it myself.

The big question for me is how the kids are brought on. Davies, Thornley, Farrell, Flanagan & Mossop are crying-out to play at a higher level than the reserves. Lots of questions....
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

fred_flintstone wrote:Seeing what Smith can do with the ball convinces me that we do need to get a suitable replacement though Dobson isn't it. Cant see why we would be looking for a hooker. As said MM is really showing some class and I still believe (sorry CP) that piggy will show his class and Lulu is def a hooker.
In terms of wages, it doesn't make any difference whether Riddell finds some form or not, we're stuck with paying him for the next 2.5 years.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fred there are many who share your view re Pig.

Like you I think Tommy is a very good 9 better than a 7 and I have faith in MM which is why I think Pig is not a great buy if it stops us signing say a class halfback like Myler who would be a great partner for Sam T and would further justify the outlay on Gleeson who has prove great at shielding halfbacks defensively thus far.

Like yourself the big question for me is when / how we give these young players opportunities. Some will fall by the wayside and move on some will flourish abnd become outstanding Wigan players for 5-10 years but they deserve a chance to succeed or fail.

Farrell and Davies always impress me and if developed Thornley could be a great centre.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Like you I think Tommy is a very good 9 better than a 7 and I have faith in MM which is why I think Pig is not a great buy if it stops us signing say a class halfback like Myler who would be a great partner for Sam T and would further justify the outlay on Gleeson who has prove great at shielding halfbacks defensively thus far.

Like yourself the big question for me is when / how we give these young players opportunities. Some will fall by the wayside and move on some will flourish abnd become outstanding Wigan players for 5-10 years but they deserve a chance to succeed or fail.

Farrell and Davies always impress me and if developed Thornley could be a great centre.[/quote]

I am a fully signed up member of our youth policy. Unfortunately, I can't see a No7 coming through the ranks in the short term neither can I see Tommy occupying the role in the future. Therefore, if we are to be successful, then we need to integrate local talent with world class stars from Britain, Aus and New Zealand.

A srumhalf is pivotol to any team and therefore we need to create enough money under the salary cap to sign a leading figure to complement Tomkins. If that means sacrificing the likes of Bailey, Pryce etc. then so be it. Top priority for us next year is halfback and prop.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:
I can't see a No7 coming through the ranks in the short term neither can I see Tommy occupying the role in the future.
He has to, we've not given him a 3-year extension just to play back-up hooker.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Geoff

He would not need to be back up if we got rid of Riddle , brought young Myler in and the he could start at hooker and interchange with youmg Mac
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

He has to, we've not given him a 3-year extension just to play back-up hooker. [/quote]

Then we have made a mistake! Tommy is not good enough to play 7, Myler yes.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fred_flintstone

I think piggle will come good but if it meant bringing in myler at his expense well thats fine by me. Myler & Tomkins combo, now that I'd like too see!

fred_flintstone

Morph wrote:Does anyone have any information as to whether we are interested in signing Myler? and if so is it likely.
Not heard anything but I would expect/hope, ok more hope, that as an ambitious club (stick with me here) any young player of his potential is a major target.

BUT, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he replaces Long at the end of this season.