4 changes to make more room under salary cap

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: 4 changes to make more room under salary cap

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

LORENZO wrote:Not sure why we are talking about changes at the end of the season already. Coley has been outstanding last couple of games and if we can get a manager who will get the best out of the players we have got why change. Only Fielden has yet to perform to his best and I doubt that he ever will now. True, there are players reaching the age limit but we should still wait to see how they are performing come October.
The club needs forward planning not the knee jerk reaction we have seen in the past. We should know now who is going to be retained and who we are seeking to recruit. Last year we tried to sign Ruben Wiki, at the end of the NRL season, and when that move failed our options had evaporated due to the fact that all the good players had signed contracts in July.

I agree that Coley has been playing well lately, could that have anything to do with the fact that he is out of contract at the end of this season? I suggest that we will see Fielden performing to a high standard next year when his deal is ue to expire.

A good young player with bags of potential is a better proposition than a top player in his thirties. This philosophy worked well for us in the 80s and 90s and it is working equally as well for St Helens now. Sentiment has no place in sport, if it did then Hanley, Gregory, Goodway etc. would have carried on playing for Wigan longer and our success would have come to an end quicker.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Just trying to make the point that the coach has a lot to answer for in respect of the way players perform. For example, the team hardly looked fit at the start of the season and continue to play poorly in my opinion. It is not necessarily the fault of the players all the time if they are instructed to play a certain way and whilst I do agree that several should depart lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. (hey a Nobleism there)
We have parted with to many players who have come back to haunt us in the past.
shaunedwardsfanclub

We need to change, last night proved it. Yes we played well, our forwards were every bit as good as HKR but we didn't have the guile or skill to kill them off when we pressed their line. We need a class halfback to partner Tomkins or otherwise the club will stand still in 2010.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:We need to change, last night proved it. Yes we played well, our forwards were every bit as good as HKR but we didn't have the guile or skill to kill them off when we pressed their line. We need a class halfback to partner Tomkins or otherwise the club will stand still in 2010.
agreed. if lockyer is available/willing to come over here, we should do everything we can to get him for a season at least. this team with him in would be right up there i think, although we would have to overhaul the way we attack.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:We need to change, last night proved it. Yes we played well, our forwards were every bit as good as HKR but we didn't have the guile or skill to kill them off when we pressed their line. We need a class halfback to partner Tomkins or otherwise the club will stand still in 2010.
We need Tomkins to play, not be sat on the sidelines.
shaunedwardsfanclub

GeoffN wrote:
We need Tomkins to play, not be sat on the sidelines.
Agreed Geoff. If we don't play him and sort out his contract then he will be off! Hopefully, Frank Endacott (who will shortly become Sam's and Shaun's agent) will press for long term deals and some form of assurances about their playing futures. We need to spend our salary cap wisely and I can see no better of way of spending it. Sam was not a happy bunny on Friday, he is annoyed that Nobby is not picking the team on merit!