4 changes to make more room under salary cap

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ferreira

4 changes to make more room under salary cap

Post by ferreira »

goudling let him go . bailey go hansen is gd enough to take that place. karl pryce was a nice try but we aint in a postion to make him a class player. and fielden take a lower contract? that must free up alot of money baliley pryce goulding and a chunk off fielden. phelps stay at fullback been a good player in that position liam farrell will have room to play gleeson must be takeing the full time role of goulding. that will make room for another player depending on what happening with newton?
warrior till i die

Re: 4 changes to make more room under salary cap

Post by warrior till i die »

i think we will keep bailey, but on a heavily reduced contract to be honest- hes one of those ultimate pros is bails and doesnt leave anything on the pitch, although, he could be in his last year with us if we have any ambition to bring through farrell/ mossop or flanagan, personally I think we need to release a second rower at the end of the season.

You can pretty much say tim smith is going so that will free up some salary room, i would be tempted to sign an experienced half for a season because if smith goes we will look pretty threadbare in the halves although gleeson, lockers and flanagan can cover 6.

Coley is another who i would be looking to release, although he is playing pretty well at the minute if there is a better prop available I would be going getting him.

After this season we should be looking at bringing in one player per season max to maintain the bulk of our squad.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

IL said that he would only sign the best overseas players once several players came off contract and money became available under the salary cap. Over the next couple of seasons he will get that opportunity as the contracts of Bailey, Fielden and Feka expire.

The question is are the likes of Phelps, Carmont, Bailey and Feka in that category. All have performed well at times during their stay, but good performances have been perpetuated by varying periods of mediocrity. In my opinion, Phelps is an average player who has been deemed not good enough for the NRL; Carmont is past his best, he is starting to get injured on a regular basis and at 32 I am not convinced that he will cut the mustard next season; Bailey is the ultimate professional but has never lived up to the reputation he required in the NRL; Feka can be devestating but his game time leaves a lot to be desired and his defence needs to improve.

We still need a top prop and therefore two from the following three need to leave - Bailey, Coley, Feka - to pay for a new import (I would keep Feka). An experienced halfback who can dictate play is essential to complement Tomkins. A centre in the mould of Jamie Lyon would be ideal as this would bring the best out of Ainscough and provide us with an outstanding wing partnership. Possibly a good attacking full back, although I would expect Richards to switch if a centre is recruited.

How do we pay for it? By releasing Phelps, Carmont, Pryce, Smith, Bailey and Coley.

A reduction in the number of 'senior' players also allows the youngsters to come through and with Fielden's contract coming to an end in 2010 this will give us the opportunity to improve the contracts of those younger players.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

i would not get rid of phelps.
IN WANE WE TRUST
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:IL said that he would only sign the best overseas players once several players came off contract and money became available under the salary cap. Over the next couple of seasons he will get that opportunity as the contracts of Bailey, Fielden and Feka expire.

The question is are the likes of Phelps, Carmont, Bailey and Feka in that category. All have performed well at times during their stay, but good performances have been perpetuated by varying periods of mediocrity. In my opinion, Phelps is an average player who has been deemed not good enough for the NRL; Carmont is past his best, he is starting to get injured on a regular basis and at 32 I am not convinced that he will cut the mustard next season; Bailey is the ultimate professional but has never lived up to the reputation he required in the NRL; Feka can be devestating but his game time leaves a lot to be desired and his defence needs to improve.

We still need a top prop and therefore two from the following three need to leave - Bailey, Coley, Feka - to pay for a new import (I would keep Feka). An experienced halfback who can dictate play is essential to complement Tomkins. A centre in the mould of Jamie Lyon would be ideal as this would bring the best out of Ainscough and provide us with an outstanding wing partnership. Possibly a good attacking full back, although I would expect Richards to switch if a centre is recruited.

How do we pay for it? By releasing Phelps, Carmont, Pryce, Smith, Bailey and Coley.

A reduction in the number of 'senior' players also allows the youngsters to come through and with Fielden's contract coming to an end in 2010 this will give us the opportunity to improve the contracts of those younger players.
What does Phelps have to do to prove his worth? I personally have seen much worse over the years who have worn our colours.He seems pretty solid at full back thus freeing up Pat Richards.Only my opinion. :D I say retain Phelps. :D
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

KOOCH wrote:What does Phelps have to do to prove his worth? I personally have seen much worse over the years who have worn our colours.He seems pretty solid at full back thus freeing up Pat Richards.Only my opinion. :D I say retain Phelps. :D
I agree that his best position is fullback, he's never impressed in the threequarters. That, of course, is what many of us were saying a year ago, when Nobby was sticking with Mathers...
Reevezie 2.0.0.8

Post by Reevezie 2.0.0.8 »

eccywarrior wrote:i would not get rid of phelps.
Me Neither, good at fullback (his best position and if i remember right, his favourite?)
Wigan's Favourite Salon Follows The Wigan Warriors http:// http://www.cuttingcrewwigan.co.uk
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

Dam rite, keep Phelps at fullback
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Not sure why we are talking about changes at the end of the season already. Coley has been outstanding last couple of games and if we can get a manager who will get the best out of the players we have got why change. Only Fielden has yet to perform to his best and I doubt that he ever will now. True, there are players reaching the age limit but we should still wait to see how they are performing come October.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

LORENZO wrote:Not sure why we are talking about changes at the end of the season already. Coley has been outstanding last couple of games and if we can get a manager who will get the best out of the players we have got why change. Only Fielden has yet to perform to his best and I doubt that he ever will now. True, there are players reaching the age limit but we should still wait to see how they are performing come October.
But if we're going to replace them, we need to start looking now (as Saints have with Soliola), not wait till all the good ones have been signed by other clubs.

In any case, the decision should be based on how they've played over their full time here, not just the last few months.