Re: Matty Russell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Tweeted today saying how much he was looking forward to coming back
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The problem is if / when Matty returns it may mean Sam is moving on.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:The problem is if / when Matty returns it may mean Sam is moving on.
Unlikely that Matty's return will hasten Sam's departure. Not convinced that Matty will be Sam's replacement!
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

He's been going pretty good only problem is he dislocated his shoulder last week and will be out for a few weeks.
lcharnock2

Post by lcharnock2 »

Heard he is Sam's replacement. Apparently was the plan all along, with Russell going to aus for 2 years and replace Sam (after the supposed 3 years). However been brought forward to end of this year with Sam going to Nrl.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

According to Shaun Wane, Lewis Tierney will be Sam's replacement & will be give a chance to play before the end of the year :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:According to Shaun Wane, Lewis Tierney will be Sam's replacement & will be give a chance to play before the end of the year :)
Josie,

Why then has Ryan Hampshire been playing at full back in the academy?
lcharnock2

Post by lcharnock2 »

I don't usually post on rumour threads but I do have it on good authority Russell is coming back. Another thing that convinces me is that Russell tweeted yesterday about coming back to Wigan and those tweets have all been deleted now.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:According to Shaun Wane, Lewis Tierney will be Sam's replacement & will be give a chance to play before the end of the year :)
Josie,

Because Lewis has had an injury.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Josie,

Wane to give youth a chance

Lewis Tierney, the eldest son of Wigan legend Jason Robinson, will get the chance to fill Sam Tomkins' shoes before the end of the season, Warriors coach Shaun Wane has revealed.

As Wane prepares to give scrum-half George Williams his Super League debut in tomorrow's game against London Broncos, he says the 18-year-old Tierney is edging closer to making his bow.

Wane says Tierney, who been with the club since he was 12, would have had his chance by now but for injury and is a potential replacement for Tomkins if and when the England star leaves for Australia, which could be as soon as next season.

"He's just back from a serious knee injury but in the two games he's played since then, he's been outstanding," Wane said.

"I think in 12 months you'll see a possible full-back there. He's a good player. He has the same attributes Jason had.

"If he hadn't have been injured, I'd have rested Sam and put him in but I will give him a go this year.

"I need to look at him because you can train at a high intensity but until you play, you never know."

Tierney, whose father was man of the match in the first Super League Grand Final in 1998 and was a member of Wigan's Challenge Cup-winning teams of 1993 and 1995 among more than 300 appearances for the club, was one of half-a-dozen juniors to be promoted to the senior squad at the end of last season.

James Greenwood and Williams became the first of the six to break into the first team when they played in the Warriors' Challenge Cup win over Leigh last month and the 18-year-old Williams will get his chance in Super League tomorrow alongside 20-year-old Sam Powell.

Wane's hand has been forced by injury to regular half-backs Matty Smith and Blake Green but he is delighted to be able to give more youngsters a chance following the successful integration into the first team of forwards Dom Crosby and Greg Burke this season.

"It doesn't overly disappoint me because I am genuinely looking forward to seeing Sam and George to see how they go," he said.

"If it doesn't work, then I know. At the end of the day, it's a Super League game, it's not a Challenge Cup semi-final.

"I didn't think twice about it because I don't want to start juggling the squad about.

"I'm excited to see the young kids play. They train a lot at our level and I don't expect a dip. I want it to be seamless.

"That's what we've been doing with our kids this year, it's the kids that did the job in that tough period."

London coach Tony Rea is forced to make three changes to the team that knocked Bradford Bulls out of the Challenge Cup, with prop Antonio Kaufusi suspended and hooker Tommy Lee and former Wigan winger Chris Melling both injured.

Their places are taken by Alex Hurst, Shane Rodney and on-loan centre James Mendeika.

Catalan Dragons have 39-year-old Steve Menzies back for the visit of Castleford Tigers tomorrow.

The centre or second rower has missed the last four matches with a broken finger and makes a timely return as the Dragons look to avoid a third consecutive League defeat for the first time since 2011.

The match will be Castleford's first under new coach Daryl Powell, who says his squad have been freshened up by their week off caused by the club's early exit from the Challenge Cup.

"The players have been fantastic," Powell said. "They worked pretty hard on Saturday and were in this week and looked good, sharp and fresh so I think the few days off that they had last week has done a good job for us."

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/27 ... ve-youth-a
There you go WW, I was on my phone when I posted before travelling back from London so didn't put the full interview or the link :)