Blake Green to Storm

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Re: Blake Green to Storm

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote: I would rather see Rocky Hampshire given a chance at stand off ahead of Sam Powell, the options he provides are much better IMO.
Rocky is our next Sam Tomkins, IMO of course :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

Heard this will happen within the next 3 weeks (for a fee) and we are signing Jamie Soward as his replacement as Penrith are tight on the cap due to signing Idris.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Wes that's a stunner!

Soward can kick goals can't he and in an unusual style almost as odd a style as piggy riddell.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Wes that's a stunner!

Soward can kick goals can't he and in an unusual style almost as odd a style as piggy riddell.
Isn't that the guy who played for London for back half of last season??

I know the club was cack but he did nothing to impress me or that he would be good enough for Wigan!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

josie andrews wrote:

I know the club was cack but he did nothing to impress me or that he would be good enough for Wigan!
Didn't he play against us in the WCC a few years ago?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Can't believe that this is true but Jamie Soward would do a great job for our team. We have some excellent youngsters coming through but they won't be ready to run the team every week by the end of this season. Learning from a top class stand off (Green or Soward)for two years would be much more realistic.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
josie andrews wrote:

Didn't he play against us in the WCC a few years ago?
Yeah :(
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not convinced YET. Soward has a very good relationship with Gus Gould, as does Idris and Peter Wallace. Penrith have cleared the decks so they are now rebuilding. Luke Walsh was a Panthrer starting half back last season, he is now with St Helens.

Soward is a complex character, a confidence player BUt very talented particularly re Kicking.
markill

Post by markill »

Not sure that Penrith would have had him in front of the media this week if he wasn't there to stay. Lots have to fall in to place for this one to go through.

Sam Powell had some very strong outings at stand off last year and I'd happily see him play more. Hampshire has boundless talent but I think Powell is more prepared to be a week in week out starter if Green left.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:Not sure that Penrith would have had him in front of the media this week if he wasn't there to stay. Lots have to fall in to place for this one to go through.
As Whelly W said I always thought Green (and even possibly Smith) were on quite short contracts with a view to the younger players coming through.

If we stuck to that I would be fine with it as it looks like a planned succession.

I think Green is settled on this course of action anyway and shows no sign of wanting away. For once we should stick with the contract terms, say thanks at the end of it.

If we don't and sell Green early it looks like IL will make Wane's job harder as soon as anyone offers anything for any of our players.
Sam Powell had some very strong outings at stand off last year and I'd happily see him play more. Hampshire has boundless talent but I think Powell is more prepared to be a week in week out starter if Green left.
I don't think he went that well at all. I agree with Panchitta Marra with this:

"He hasn't shown enough potential to secure the 6 shirt.
Was only poor in most games he played in 2013.
I would rather see Rocky Hampshire given a chance at stand off ahead of Sam Powell, the options he provides are much better IMO."

In particular I felt Powell offered little on attack and we were not much of a threat when he was on. Hampshire looks to have that bit of a spark that sets him apart.

I hope Hampshire doesn't end up as Sam MkII at full back because Hampshire is even more of a 6 than Sam was and we shouldn't play him at 1 just to accommodate Powell in a year or two when Bowen and Green will have left.